Vegetarian Rogan Josh is super easy, loaded with flavours, and delicious too. Made with Quorn Pieces, fragrant Indian spices, this curry is the perfect Fakeaway dish for curry nights! Serve with homemade Naan Bread, Yellow rice, and Cucumber Raita.
To celebrate National Curry Week, I have partnered with @Quorn_uk to create this bespoke curry. Take a look at this Quick & Easy, Fuss-free Curry recipe below.
Disclosure – This post is sponsored by Quorn.
ABOUT THIS VEGETARIAN ROGAN JOSH
This delicious and aromatic curry is made with easy-to-cook Quorn Pieces, fragrant Indian spices simmering in onion tomato gravy! Just perfect for when you are craving a takeaway. With minimal preparation, it is so quick and easy to make that you only need just under 30 minutes of cooking time and One Pot.
It is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
Don’t have Quorn pieces at home, use Aubergine, Bell Pepper and Chickpeas for VEGETABLE ROGAN JOSH.
WHY I LOVE THIS RECIPE?
- It is the EASIEST Veg ROGAN JOSH curry, you will ever make
- You only need One Pot to make this curry
- Made with Quorn Pieces- great tasting, nutritious and easy-to-cook protein
- Packed with flavors and tastes delicious even on the next day
- Ready in less than 40 minutes
- It is Vegetarian and can be made Vegan by simple substitutions (like Vegan Quorn Pieces!)
What is Rogan Josh?
Rogan Josh originates from Indian Kashmiri Cuisine and is now quite a popular curry in the British Curry Houses. It is typically a mutton dish flavoured with fragrant spices, Ginger, Garlic, Fennel, and Chilli simmering for at least 2 hours until it is slow-cooked.
The red colour in the curry comes from a variety of chilli in Kashmir called Kashmiri chilli. This milder variety of chilli is soaked in hot water along with garlic and then blended into a paste and it lends a unique colour to the dish. I love using this paste in my Pav Bhaji recipe too!
For a quick hack, I like to use Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder & Paprika instead!
However, over the years, this fabulous Kashmiri dish has been adapted by Vegetarians and Vegans around the world and it’s so so amazing. You need a robust vegetable or a substitute to absorb all the heavy spices in the curry.
I do love to use Quorn Pieces for this curry because they absorb the flavours so well. I can guarantee this curry tastes just like from your favourite curry house.
To tone down the heat, I do like to swirl in some yogurt. But it is completely optional to do so.
This curry is dynamic in flavours – it’s intense, spicy, and delicious – perfect to please your vegetarian and meat-eating friends and family alike. All you need is Naan bread and raita to scoop out the curry sauce and Quorn Pieces.
Garnishes / Toppings for Veg Rogan Josh Curry
These toppings are icing on this Indian Veg curry and they are too good to miss. There are a few variations that go well on it. Depending upon what is available, I like to add the following combination.
- Fresh Mint, Ginger juliennes, Slices Green Chilli & Crispy fried onions
- Slivered Fennel crisps, Pink Pickled Onions, and coriander leaves
- Toasted Coconut flakes, Sliced Chilli, Ground Fennel, and Coriander leaves.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN ROGAN JOSH?
With minimal substitutions in this Vegetable Rogan Josh curry recipe, it is easy to turn it into a vegan curry.
Use Vegan Butter, Vegan Yogurt, and Vegan Quorn Pieces in the recipe. You may also use black lentils & aubergine too.
HOW TO STORE THE LEFTOVER ROGAN JOSH
Store the leftover the curry in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or up to 1 month in the freezer.
Defrost the rogan josh in the microwave or leave it overnight in the fridge to thaw. Heat thoroughly and serve with your favourite bread.
ABOUT QUORN PIECES
Quorn Pieces have a great taste and texture, perfect for those following a Vegetarian diet or for those looking for a healthy meat alternative. Try Quorn Vegan Pieces for a Vegan alternative.
It is delicious and versatile for making all types of meals and recipes, right from a stir fry to a spicy curry.
Quorn has a great selection of products with fantastic meat-like texture and flavours, to use in your recipes. Be it Quorn Pieces in curries or pepperoni on your pizza or sausages for your hot dog – it is perfect for family meals or special occasions!
Quorn is made from mycoprotein, which is naturally high in fibre, low in saturated fat and, contains no cholesterol. To make mycoprotein a natural fungus that grows in the soil, called Fusarium venenatum, is fermented in factories in the UK. It is a nutritious protein source containing all 9 essential amino acids, much like meat, fish and, chicken. Mycoprotein lends the Quorn Products a meat-like-texture and is delicious in all your favourite recipes.
YOU WILL LOVE THESE CURRIES
- 300 g Quorn Pieces
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 1 large onion diced
- 1/2 cup tomato passata or tomato puree
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup water if needed
- 2 Tbsp Yogurt (optional)
- 1 Bayleaf
- 1 cm Cinnamon stick
- 6 Cloves
- 10 peppercorns
- 5 green cardamom
- 3 Tbsp coriander leaves
- 3 Tbsp Toasted Coconut flakes
- 1 Tsp Sliced Red Chilli
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Fennel
- 1/4 Tsp Garam Masala
- Heat ghee and oil in a pan. Add the whole spices and sauté for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add onion, ginger and garlic. Reduce the heat to medium flame and saute for 7-8 minutes until the onions are softened.
- Add the Passata sauce, 1/4 cup water, ground spices – cumin, coriander, fennel, kashmiri chilli powder, paprika and salt. Stir to combine. Cook in medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the Quorn Pieces and vegetable stock . Cover and cook for 12 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoon of yogurt to the gravy, until well blended. If the yogurt is thick, mix the yogurt with a little water to dilute it. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala and ground fennel. Taste for seasoning and add more as needed.
- Turn off the flame and transfer to a serving dish.
- Garnish with toasted coconut flakes, coriander leaves and sliced red chilli.
- Serve with Yellow rice, Naan bread and Cucumber Salad.