Thinking what to make with lentils? Make this easy and delicious Vegetable and Lentil Shepherd’s Pie. A perfect comfort food for a hearty and satisfying dinner, this recipe is packed with nutrients and can be enjoyed by everyone in the family, whether they are vegetarian or not.
Easy homemade Lentil Shepherd’s pie recipe
This Lentil Shepherd’s pie is a perfect way to sneak in extra veggies into your diet and is a great option for a hearty and comforting dinner. It is made with a base of lentils and vegetables, topped with creamy mashed potatoes and a sprinkle of cheese. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also easy to make and can be customised to suit your taste.
To speed up the process, you can use a can of cooked lentils instead of cooking them from scratch. This will save you time and still give you the same delicious taste.
This recipe is perfect for vegetarians or those looking for a meatless meal. So, gather your ingredients and let’s get started on making this comforting dish.
The Shepherd’s Pie
This British classic dish Shepherd’s Pie was invented in late 1700 where the leftover lamb meat was cooked and then topped with mashed potatoes & cheese in a casserole dish. Over the years, people who cannot savour Shepherd’s pie started substituting the meat component with an alternative vegetarian/ vegan filling. That’s how this classic British dish has now been reinvented to suit Vegetarians and Vegans too.
I call this Meat Free version – Shepherd’s Pie, Shepherdess Pie, Cottage Garden Pie and even Cottage Pie.
How to make Lentil Shepherd’s pie step by step on stove top?
Start by making the mashed potatoes. Boil them in a large saucepan until tender, then mash with butter, salt, and pepper.
Next, make the filling by sautéing onion and garlic in a casserole dish, then adding mixed vegetables, tomatoes, vegetable stock, herbs, and Worcester sauce. Cook until vegetables are tender and mixture is reduced. Add lentils, stir, and remove rosemary sprigs.
Finally, assemble the pie by spreading the lentil mixture in an ovenproof dish, topping with mashed potatoes, cheese, and vegetarian worcester sauce. Grill for 3 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve and enjoy!
Like the Lentil and Vegetable mixture with a little more gravy, add more vegetable broth while cooking.
How to make Instant Pot Vegetable and Lentil Shepherd’s pie?
To make Lentil Shepherd’s pie in an Instant Pot, first, prepare the mashed potatoes in advance using my recipe for garlic mashed potatoes or use the stovetop method.
Next, add all the ingredients for the pie filling into the Instant Pot and set it to “High” pressure for 5 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally, then cook the mixture on the “Sauté” setting, stirring, until it reaches the desired consistency. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary, then discard the rosemary before serving.
To finish the dish, pile the lentil mixture into a pie dish, top with mashed potatoes, grated cheese, and Worcester sauce. Place under the grill for 3-4 minutes until the cheese is bubbling. Serve hot.
Video instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
What to serve with Lentil Shepherd’s pie?
Shepherd’s pie can also be enjoyed as a satisfying stand alone meal. Here are some options that would complement the flavours in the Lentil shepherd’s pie and balance the dish.
- Steamed or roasted vegetables, such as Brussels sprouts, green beans, or asparagus.
- A mixed green salad
- Crusty bread like a soda bread or eggless homemade dinner rolls
- Simple grains such as quinoa or steamed rice.
Storing Lentil Shepherd’s pie in the fridge
Leftover Lentil Shepherd’s pie can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. When reheating in the microwave, you may need to splash a little water to freshen it up.
Can I freeze this Lentil Shepherd’s Pie?
Yes, Lentil Shepherd’s pie can be frozen for up to three months. To freeze, transfer the pie to individual portions of casserole dishes, allow it to come to room temperature, tightly cover with foil, and place in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat, reheat the pie (still covered with foil) for 30-45 minutes in a 180 C/350ºF oven. To cut down on cooking time, thaw the pie in the refrigerator the night before.
How to make a Vegan version of this Lentil Shepherd’s Pie?
To create a vegan version of Shepherd’s Pie, substitute traditional ingredients with plant-based alternatives. Use vegan cheddar cheese for the topping and vegan butter for the potato mash. Additionally, for added flavour, consider adding 1 Tbsp of nutritional yeast to the potato mash.
Can I prepare veggie shepherd’s pie in advance?
Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie can be made in advance and stored up to 3 days in advance in the refrigerator. Prep the cottage pie all the way until assembling and wrap them in foil and place it in the refrigerator. Bake at 180C/ 350º F to heat throughout, about 20-30 minutes.
What is the difference between Shepherd’s pie and Cottage pie?
The main difference between Shepherd’s Pie and Cottage Pie is the type of meat used in the filling. Shepherd’s Pie is made with lamb meat, while Cottage Pie is made with beef. Both dishes are prepared in a similar fashion, with the meat filling being topped with mashed potatoes before being baked.
If you love this recipe, you will also love
- Quorn Shepherds pie
- Dump & Start Red Lentil Tortilla Soup
- Glazed Carrots
- Simplest Spaghetti Aglio Olio
- Butternut Squash Red Lentil Dal
Lentil Shepherd’s pie recipe below
Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie Recipe ( Instant Pot + Stove Top Instructions)Print Pin Rate
Veggie Shepherd’s Pie Filling
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion diced
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 4½ cup Mixed Vegetables
- 2 Sprigs Rosemary
- 400 g Cooked Green Lentils ( 1 can)
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp Worcester Sauce (vegetarian)
- 1 Can Chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml Vegetable Stock ( 150ml only required for IP cooking )
- 2 tsp Mixed Herbs Optional
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 900 g Potatoes cut into even chunks
- 60 g Butter
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 125 g Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp Parsley finely chopped
Stove Top Method
- Prep the Potatoes – Bring a large sauce pan of water to boil and add the potatoes. Allow them to boil over medium heat until tender or about 20 minutes. TIP: The potato is cooked when you can easily slip a knife through.
- Mash the Topping –When the potato is ready, drain in a colander and return to the pan off the heat. Mash with a potato masher or fork, add the butter, mix well, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep the prepared mashed potatoes to one side.
- Shepherd’s Pie Filling – Heat olive oil in a lidded casserole dish. Add Onion & Garlic and saute until translucent about 3 minutes. Add the mixed vegetables, chopped tomatoes with juice from the can, vegetable stock, coriander powder, mixed herbs, rosemary sprigs , Worcester sauce and stir until just combined. Season salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook until the vegetables still have a little bite.Lower the heat until the mixture is simmering and cook with the lid off until the mixture has reduced by half, say 10- 15 mins.
- Add the lentil’s mixture, lemon juice, season with more salt & pepper if needed and stir. Remove the Rosemary sprigs and set it aside.
- Finish the dish & Serve – Preheat the grill to the highest setting. Pile the lentil mixture into an ovenproof pie dish and top it with potato mash. Smooth the mash with the back of the spoon. Sprinkle the grated cheese and some Worcester sauce. Place the dish under the grill for 3 mins. You want the cheese to be golden and bubbling. Serve!
Instant Pot Method
- IP Mashed Potatoes recipe can be adapted from here or make them with stove top instructions above.
- Dump the ingredients 2 -9 in the Instant pot. Stir to combine. We only need 150ml of Stock for IP Cooking.
- Cover, set vent to sealing and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Allow the IP to naturally release the pressure.
- Open the Instant Pot and cook the pie filling on ‘Sauté’ High setting, stirring, until the lentil mixture has the right consistency. Saute only if any cooking liquid is left in the pot. Squeeze some lemon juice and stir.
- Check the seasoning and adjust if needed. Discard the rosemary before dishing out.
- To finish the dish and serve the veggie shepherds pie, pile the lentil mixture into a pie dish for sharing and smaller dishes for freezing. Top them with a layer of potato mash, grated cheese and worcester sauce. Grill them on the highest setting for 3-4 minutes until the cheese is bubbling away. Serve Hot!
Hello Fresh recipes online
HelloFresh has a repertoire of recipes online. They have detailed ingredients and easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions on the website. Even if I don’t manage to order one of the delivery meal kit boxes, I like to browse through for quick and easy dinner time recipe inspirations. I came across this wonderful British Classic Vegetarian recipe for Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie from Hello Fresh and instantly fell in love with them. . Moreover, when a recipe is topped with lots of mashed potatoes & bubbling cheese, you will see happy children around.
The recipe called for Mushrooms and I did not have them in my refrigerator. Instead I have used frozen mixed vegetables and a can of brown lentils that I already had.
Disclosure – This post is in collaboration with Hello Fresh.