Being a Vegetarian by choice, as a family, Vegetables, Herbs & Fruits are a major chunk in my grocery bill. After bringing them home from the farmer’s market or the super grocer, I end up wrapping the herbs either in plastic bag or keep them loosely wrapped in a kitchen towel to avoid getting rotten quickly. With the rest of the vegetables like Cabbage, Carrots, Chayote and Peppers, they are either stored as it is or in a very thin plastic bag. After a week, by any chance if they are not cooked up , they slowly begin to rot. Sometimes, just incase if I have bought them in larger quantity, I would end of chopping them into pieces, pack them in a ziplock and put it away in the freezer compartment.
OXO was kind enough to send me two of their produce keepers to conduct an experiment and I totally loved it. Honestly I wasn’t expecting much of a difference, but the fact is , THERE IS !!
How did I Test?
After a week, the herbs appeared to stay fresher, greener in OXO’s produce keepers than in the Ziploc or plastic bags. The ones in Plastic bag had slowly began to wilt away.
With the herbs from the OXO produce keepers, I used them up to cook up this delicious herb infused Pulao – Mint coriander Pulao. A little twist to my regular vegetable pulao. Serve them with some Raitha or just spiced yogurt.
ABOUT OXO GREEN SAVER
Waste Less , Save more with OXO’s innovative new Green saver Collection, a revolutionary new carbon activated system that keeps your produce fresher for longer.
Some Food Facts !!
Did you know that 19% of the food we buy is thrown away ?
4.2 million tonnes of good food and drink go to waste from UK homes every year
2 million tonnes of household food is discarded because it is not used in time, half of which is thrown way whole or in unopened packaging
Families can save upto £700 per year if they didn’t throw good food away.
Each year UK throws away over
73 K tones of carrots
64 K tones of leafy salad
59 K tones of apples
45 K tones of tomatoes
There are THREE things that can cause fruit and vegetables to rot and spoil quickly
Ethylene Gas , Improper air flow and uncontrolled humidity levels.
With the new Green Saver Collection, OXO’s team have tackled all of these issues to deliver carbon activated product keepers that help prevent food from spoiling.
- Activated carbon filters trap and absorb ethylene gas, slowing down the aging process and keeping produce fresh longer. The filters are made from coconut husks, making them safe, all-natural and non-toxic.
- Sliding date indicator tells you when it’s time to replace the carbon filter
- The elevated basket lifts produce up and away from the container walls to promote airflow and help prevent rotting. It can also be removed and used as a colander.
- The adjustable vent on top of each Produce Keeper slides open and closed to maintain optimum humidity levels for different types of produce, keeping them crisp and fresh.
- Convenient Chart or usage guidance included underneath the vent.
- Available in three stackable modular sizes, the GreenSaver small size ,1.5l is ideal for berries and the medium size 4l is ideal for lettuce,green bean, broccoli and grapes. The largest size 4.7l easily accommodates longer produce such as carrots,cucumbers and celery.
- 1 filter included
- BPA free