Uhhh.. Winter has set in…Gloves , Mufflers/ Scarves and Hats on… Shovels , Salt and flu jabs !!
Knock Knock… Christmas fever is also begining .. I m glad … that with all the early darkness , a ray of hope comes in the form of christmas decorations everywhere… Red and silver and glitters 🙂 Inbox flooded with discounts and free deliveries to shop for christmas… Am soo damn tempted.. and turning off my list.. .waiting for the boxing day !!
These cookies are just right , when you are planning to prepare goodies.. for Christmas… And why not? This special recipe travels a long way from South Africa.. An Ouma’s Recipe … Got to be authentic 🙂 Thanks Lavanya for sharing it with me !!
Sending these butter cookies to Champa’s Bake Off event.
I just came across the 30 Best Recipes event hosting by 4 lovely bloggers . Would love to send these butter cookies and Thatai to Smitha of Little Food Junction one of the co hosts of this lovely event..
- 2 Cups Plain Flour / Maida
- Salt A Pinch I have not added in my cookies
- 1 No Egg
- 3/4 th Cup Sugar
- 125 gm Butter
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 th Tsp Vanilla Essence
- Cream butter and sugar together , then add Egg & give it a good blend. The recipe called for 1/2 Cup of Sugar but I have increased it to 3/4th Cup.. Taste is just right for us.
- Tip in Flour , Salt and Baking powder into a different bowl and mix well.
- Combine the flour mix along with the butter mix and blend until the dough ball forms. Wrap this dough ball in a cling film and chill it for atleast 1 hour until it gets firm. This dough is really soft to handle and I could not make any shapes . Hence chilled the dough.
- Once the dough is firm, remove it from the cling film and make shapes of your choice. I have prepared the traditional round balls roughly 1" and flattened them with my palm. Also did the star shapes to attract lil V. Make sure the cookies are slightly thick and not very flat and it willl get crisp v fast.Grease the baking sheet and arrange the cookies in line. Refrigerate for another 10-15 minutes before placing them into the oven. Check if the cookies are a bit firm, only then the shape will be retained.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C . Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until it slightly turns brown.Allow it cool for 15 minutes... ( Tis a secret that we enjoyed it warm too ) .This proportion together yields roughly 25 of them !
- These butter cookies are just delicious .. crunchy and melting in your mouth !!