My first introduction to Panna cotta has been online, a couple of years ago with a countless shares from so many people on Facebook, websites, blog and what not.. A couple of further reads online led me into an understanding that Panna cotta is a traditional Italian dessert that is made with sweetened cream ,thickened with gelatine and moulded.
My missy who is finally ‘Three’ – the trouble maker phase , loves her Nestle’s Rolo Dessert pots. They are creamy chocolately with caramel centred in the little tubs. Every trip to the super giants and we have them coming home… Couple of month’s passed by and I am not very pleased buying them for the little lady all the time.. It was then the pan cotta idea struck my mind !!!
I so wished I had an Indian store, locally to buy agar agar and make the dessert. Driving 7 miles just to buy 1 single ingredient is something that I would never do . Rather decided I will settle in for Gelatine .
Can u believe it .. that day the panna cotta was a close match in flavours . She approved the whole thingy when it was ready and commented in her own baby lingo – ” Chocolate Powder is fantastic ! ” For some weirdo reasons, she calls the dessert as Chocolate Powder.
Here’s my take on this traditional Italian Dessert !
- 270 ml Double Cream
- 100 ml Whole Milk100 gms dark chocolate roughly chopped80 gms Caster sugar1 Packet of Vege-Gel 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Garnish :
- Chocolate Shards - Make them at home
- White chocolate curls
- 50 gm of Dark Chocolate
- 1 Tblspn of Demerara Sugar can use regular granulated sugar too
- Prepare your glasses/ ramekins to be filled, before you start the whole process. Once the settling agent is added, one needs to act quickly.
- Empty the sachet of the Vege Gel into 200 ml of cold water. Stir until it dissolves .
- In a sauce pan, bring together cream,milk and sugar and heat them in medium heat until the mixture begins to boil. Turn off the flame and add the chopped chocolates and vanilla extract. Whisk them or use a laddle and stir until completely incorporated. At this stage add the vege gel - water mixture and heat them until they just begin to boil.
- Pour them swiftly into the prepared glasses one by one. Refrigerate them over nite or for atleast 5-6 hours to set before you serve. Garnish them with White chocolate curls and Shards. This is entirely your imagination.. If you have some berries, garnish them with it and dust some cocoa powder.
- If you are looking to use Gelatine, dissolve the gelatine as per the instructions.
CHOCOLATE SHARDS: :
- Prepare a double boiler for melting the chocolates. Place the chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over hot water and allow to melt, stirring often. Place a 16-inch-long parchment paper on your work surface.
- Once the chocolate is melted add the sugar and give it a good mix. Pour the melted chocolate onto the paper and using an offset spatula, spread it in a thin and even layer, about 1/3 of an inch off each edge.
- Place a second sheet of same-sized parchment paper on top and gently press to release the air bubbles. Starting with one short end, roll the parchment paper tightly into an-inch-wide tube. Place it seam side down on a rimmed baking tray and chill in the refrigerator until set, for at least 2 hours.
- Have a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper ready and remove the tube from the refrigerator. Unroll the tube in one quick motion, which creates the chocolate shards. Remove the top sheet of parchment paper, and with the help of a large offset spatula go underneath the pieces, pick them up and transfer them to the lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.