Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies – Christmas is especially the time for these pretty looking red velvet cookies. These gorgeous PICK ME UP COOKIES are coated with a dusting of powdered sugar and we end up with impressive crinkles & crackles when baked.
Why not pack them for gifts this holiday season?
ABOUT THIS RECIPE
I believe it’s not right to say Red Velvet Cookies are for Christmas alone. They are pretty much everyone’s favourite, all year round. I made these Red Velvet Pancakes and these red velvet cookies for Valentine and it is still everyone’s favorite.
Christmas is all about tinsels, baubles, decorations, cheers, smiles, presents, and everything that’s going to make someone’s day. Likewise, these crinkle cookies are absolutely impressive and sure to bring a smile on your near and dears.
THESE RED VELVET CRINKLE COOKIES are
- the easiest holiday cookies
- perfect for occasions all year round
- great to make with kids
- so so easy, that you can hardly get it wrong!
- Ideal for gifting!
Now that I have given you so many fabulous reasons to makes these rocking Red Velvet crinkle cookies from scratch, you got to try them this Christmas. They are so easy to prepare from scratch, that you don’t need to make red velvet crinkle cookies from cake mix.
Red Velvet Cookie dough is rolled well in powdered sugar and then baked to form beautiful crinkle on the top!! In other words, these cookies are a welcoming option for enjoying red velvet cake in individual cookies. How amazing can that be?
These cookies are dangerously addictive, with high on cocoa. The recipe is not very different from other sugar cookie recipes, but it’s the addition of red food color that calls it the PICK ME UP COOKIE!
Key Tip to making the Best Red Velvet Crinkle cookies – Roll the red velvet cookie dough into icing sugar / powdered sugar until they are completely coated in the sugar.
READER’S FAVOURITE RECIPE VIDEO ON SANDHYA’S KITCHEN
What are the Ingredients for Red Velvet Cookies?
Plain flour or All-Purpose Flour
Unsweetened cocoa powder – Good Quality Cocoa Powder is absolutely essential when making these red cookies
Sugar– I have used Caster Sugar for this recipe. But you can also use Light Brown Sugar. They also add a fantastic texture and flavor
Chocolate Chips – Either Dark Chocolate Chips or White Chips also works well. But you can also leave it out if you don’t have any handy.
Red Food Color – Powder Red color or Red Color Gel also works.
Powdered Sugar or icing sugar or Confectioners sugar is known by different names around the world. Call it whichever you fancy. They are absolutely essential for this recipe.
Before we get started,
KEY TIPS TO REMEMBER
Always start with room temperature ingredients like softened butter, eggs, etc. This step is essential so that the ingredients come together really well.
Chilling the Dough is essential. Make sure to chill the dough for at-least 2 hours, but you can chill them up to 8 hours or overnight too. The chilling process makes sure the cookies do not spread too much while baking. Above all, cookies come out with a fudgy texture.
Cookie dough needs to be rolled really well in the powdered sugar until they are completely coated. Do not press the cookie dough down, the cookies will bake perfectly!
Baking Time Suggested in this red velvet crinkle cookie recipe is approximate. You need to keep in mind that every oven is different !!
These cookies can be made really big or just a mouthful, the texture, and the crinkle will be the same. The only thing that will vary will be cooking time. Leave the bigger cookies in the oven for another couple of minutes.
HOW TO MAKE RED VELVET CRINKLE COOKIES
To make Red Velvet Cookie, first, add all the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk them through.
To the stand mixer, fitted with a whisk, add sugar & butter and beat until pale and fluffy. Remember to add one egg at a time, followed by vanilla extract and red food color.
Now add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients slowly and combine well.
Fold in Chocolate Chips. Do not overbeat.
Cling film the dough with the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
Place Icing Sugar in a wide bowl.
Preheat the oven to 180°C and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Grease palm with butter. Use a tablespoon to get small clumps of dough, make a quick ball in between your palm and roll them in the icing sugar bowl until completely coated.
Place the dough balls onto the baking sheet spaced out well. Repeat this process for the rest of the dough.
Bake in the Preheated Oven for 10 -12 minutes, until the top, is just firm to touch.
Allow the Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies to cool on the baking sheet for at least 5 -7 minutes before shifting them onto the wired rack.
HAVE YOU MADE THIS CRINKLE COOKIES?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Post a photo on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #sandhyaskitchen. I would love to see your take on these holiday cookies.
- 1 ½ Cups Plain flour
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ Cup + 2 Tsp Unsalted Butter
- A pinch of Salt
- ¾ Cup Caster sugar
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 ½ Tsp Baking powder
- ¼ Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- 2 Tsp Red Food Color
- 2 Medium Sized Eggs
- ½ Cup Icing sugar
- Whisk together dry ingredients – Flour,Cocoa Powder Baking Powder,Baking Soda and Salt.
- To the stand mixer, fitted with whisk ,add Sugar & Butter and beat until pale and fluffy. Add One egg at a time , followed by vanilla extract and red food colour.
- Add the Dry ingredients to the Wet Ingredients and combine well. Fold in Chocolate Chips. Do not over beat.
- Cling film the dough with the bowl and refrigerate overnight. Place Icing Sugar in a wide bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Grease your palm with butter. Use a tablespoon to get small clumps of dough, make a quick ball in between your palm and roll them in the icing sugar bowl nicely. Place the dough balls onto the baking sheet spaced out well.
- Repeat this process for the rest of the dough.
- Bake in the Preheated Oven for 10 -12 minutes, until the top is just firm to touch.
- Allow the Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies to cool down before shifting them onto the wired rack.
- Do not flatten the rolled cookies dough. The crinkles will not appear nicely.
- Chilling is a must for this recipe.
- You may increase the food color by another a teaspoon if you find it pale.