Learn how to make this easy Indian side dish recipe with step-by-step instructions below!
PUNJABI STYLE ALOO METHI
To translate Aloo = Potatoes , Methi = Fenugreek Leaves.
Every Winter, fresh methi leaves are a regular buy in our household. My mom would make this delicious Punjabi style aloo methi dish frequently in winter but without any garlic. Still, this Indian stir fry is extremely delicious.
Fresh Methi Leaves Vs Kasuri Methi
There is an obvious difference between fresh methi leaves and dried leaves aren’t it! Fresh leaves are called Methi Leaves whereas dried fenugreek is called Kasuri Methi. For recipes that call for dried Kasuri methi – please do not swap for fresh fenugreek leaves. The flavors and role of the ingredient are not the same.
To make this popular North Indian side dish, you need very few ingredients. The recipe is quite forgiving and you can add more potatoes or fenugreek leaves depending upon your liking. If you like it spicy, add more chili powder.
Most of the ingredients are staple pantry ingredients except for Fresh Fenugreek Leaves.
Ingredients You’ll need
Potatoes – Scrub and clean the potatoes well. You can either peel the potatoes or cook with the skin.
Methi Leaves – It takes a little while to pick out methi leaves from the stalk. But the effort is totally worth it.
Onion – Both Red and White onion will work in the recipe.
Garlic – You can use garlic paste or fresh garlic. As the recipe has very little spices, garlic has a massive flavor role in the recipe.
Green Chilli – can finely minced or sliced.
Cumin Seeds – Cumin and Potatoes are a match together. I prefer adding them to my curries.
Ground Turmeric – adds the vibrant hue to the curry.
Ground Chilli Powder
Salt to taste
Lemon Juice adds the perfect tang to the curry. It is optional!
Oil – I prefer using Sunflower Oil in the curry. You can use Mustard Oil or Vegetable Oil too.
How to make Easy Indian Aloo Methi?
FIRST STAGE – Saute Potatoes
SECOND STAGE – Preparation of the Stir fry
Heat the remaining oil in the fry pan.
Add Cumin seeds. Allow them to sizzle for a few seconds.
Add Garlic, Onion, and saute until the onions are soft. Sprinkle a pinch of salt. This will speed up the cooking process for the onions.
Add Methi leaves, green chilli, turmeric powder, salt, and red chilli powder. Stir to combine.
Cook in medium heat for at least 6 – 7 minutes until the moisture dries up from the methi leaves and the potatoes are cooked.
Check for seasoning and add more as needed.
Serve hot Aloo Methi sabji with Roti.
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE ?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
ALOO METHI KI SABZI RECIPE BELOW
- 3 Medium Potatoes – 300g washed, peeled and cubed
- 2 Cups Methi Leaves – 50g coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp Garlic finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Small onion finely chopped
- 1 Green Chilli sliced
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder Optional
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Lemon Juice
- Heat 1 tbsp Oil in the fry pan and add the potatoes. Saute in between. Cook the potatoes for at least 4- 5 minutes until the edges begin to turn brown and the potatoes are partially cooked.
- Transfer them to a plate.
Preparation of Aloo Methi ki Sabzi
- Heat the remaining oil in the fry pan.
- Add Cumin seeds. Allow them to sizzle for a few seconds.
- Add Garlic, Onion and saute until the onions are soft. Sprinkle a pinch of salt. This will speed up the cooking process for the onions.
- Add Methi leaves, green chilli, turmeric powder, salt and red chilli powder. Stir to combine.
- Cook in medium heat for at least 6 – 7 minutes until the moisture dries up from the methi leaves and the potatoes are cooked. Squeeze lemon juice.
- Check for seasoning and add more as needed.
- Serve hot Aloo Methi sabji with Roti.