Get into the holiday spirits with this delicious and easy Christmas coleslaw recipe. A vibrant and refreshing no mayo salad that complements your festive mains. Perfect for Christmas or Boxing Day, it adds a colourful touch on your dining table.
About this Holiday Coleslaw salad recipe
I absolutely love this festive coleslaw salad—it’s become the centre piece of my Thanksgiving and Christmas spread! The combination of crunchy cabbage, onion, pepper, nuts, and its vibrant colours makes it the perfect addition to any festive occasion. And the best part? It’s fancy and incredibly easy to make!
Simply add the salad vegetables to a mixing bowl. Prepare the classy vinaigrette dressing by adding everything into a small jar. Toss the vegetables with the dressing until well coated. Finish it off with a nuts and generous sprinkle of fresh herbs.
What’s even better is that you can easily personalise this festive holiday coleslaw salad. Add festive touches like dried cranberries or pomegranate seeds for an extra burst of flavour and a pop of colour. It’s truly a versatile dish that brings joy and deliciousness to any gathering.
Why you’ll love this Christmas Coleslaw?
- Quick and easy: With just 10 minutes of prep time, this fresh salad recipe is perfect for holidays, busy days or spontaneous meal plans.
- Healthy and customisable: Packed with nutritious ingredients like red cabbage, peppers, and onions, you can also personalise this coleslaw with your favourite additions like pomegranate, apples, nuts, or dried cranberries.
- Crispy and refreshing: The combination of fresh ingredients and zesty vinaigrette creates a delightful texture and refreshing flavour that will keep you coming back for more.
- Dietary-friendly: This coleslaw is naturally gluten-free, vegan and is mayo free.
- Crowd-pleaser: Whether it’s a potluck, BBQ, or holiday gathering, the vibrant colours, crunchy texture and festive taste of this coleslaw make it a versatile and inviting addition to any occasion.
- Cabbage: A mix of white and red cabbage (or red cabbage alone) provides a crisp and refreshing base for the coleslaw.
- Onion: Both red onion and spring onion bring a tangy flavour and mild bite to the dish. You can use white onion as a milder alternative.
- Herbs: Fresh mint and dill add a burst of aromatic freshness, enhancing the overall taste of the coleslaw.
- Red Pepper: Sliced red pepper adds vibrant colour, sweetness, and a satisfying crunch to the coleslaw.
- Nuts: Roughly chopped walnuts contribute a delicious nutty texture, adding richness to the coleslaw.
- Vinaigrette Dressing: The homemade dressing combines tangy apple cider vinegar, spicy Dijon mustard, sweet maple syrup, smooth olive oil, zesty lemon juice, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper for perfectly balanced flavours.
How to make easy No mayo Christmas Coleslaw step by step?
Four easy steps to make this festive slaw.
Vegetables:To make this colourful Christmas slaw, add the cabbage, red pepper, red onion, spring onion to a mixing bowl.
Dressing:Prepare the classy vinaigrette dressing by adding everything into a small jar. Shake to combine.
Toss together: Add half of the dressing to the coleslaw and toss to coat the salad. Gradually add more dressing until you reach the desired consistency and flavour.
Garnish: Add nuts, fresh herbs and spring onions.
Tips & Tricks
- Use a food processor or mandolin slicer to chop or slice the cabbage thinly and uniformly, ensuring a consistent texture in the coleslaw.
- To keep the coleslaw crisp and fresh, add the dressing just before serving. This prevents the cabbage from becoming too soggy and ensures the flavours are vibrant.
- Customise the coleslaw by adding your favourite ingredients such as grated carrots, apples, dried cranberries, or toasted nuts for extra texture and flavour.
- For a creamier variation, you can mix in a dollop of Greek yogurt, two table spoon of mayo or sour cream to the dressing for a tangy and creamy twist.
- Adjust the sweetness and tanginess of the dressing to your preference by varying the amount of maple syrup or apple cider vinegar used.
- Allow the coleslaw to chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Leftover coleslaw can be enjoyed as a topping for sandwiches, wraps, or burgers, or used as a side dish for grilled meats or BBQ.
How to make ahead this Christmas Coleslaw?
To make this Christmas coleslaw ahead of time, slice the vegetables and store them in the refrigerator a day ahead. Prepare the no mayo dressing and keep it chilled separately. On the day of serving, combine the vegetables, add the desired amount of dressing, and toss well. Finish off with nuts for crunch and fresh herbs for garnish. Serve immediately and enjoy the vibrant flavours of this make-ahead Christmas coleslaw. Preparing in advance saves time and allows the flavours of the dressing meld together for a delicious and festive side dish.
Store leftover vinegar based coleslaw
To store leftover Christmas coleslaw, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate promptly. The coleslaw can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. Before serving, give it a gentle toss to redistribute the dressing.
PS: Vinegar-based coleslaw typically stays fresh longer than mayonnaise-based coleslaw, but use your discretion and discard if there are any signs of spoilage.
Love this easy Christmas recipe, you will also love
- Crispy potato slices
- Cauliflower mac and cheese
- Homemade parmentier potatoes
- Sage and onion stuffing balls
- Roast turnips
- Root vegetables tray bake
- Christmas tray bake
- Air fryer Chestnuts
- Air fryer Cauliflower Cheese
Easy homemade Festive coleslaw recipe below
- ½ head red cabbage sliced
- ½ head white cabbage sliced
- ½ red onion finely sliced
- 2 spring onions sliced (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 medium red pepper sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- 3 tbsp dill
- ⅓ cup walnuts roughly chopped
No mayo Vinegar Dressing:
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey or as needed
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ juice of lemon
- ½ tsp salt or more
- ½ tsp black pepper or more
- In a mixing bowl, combine the vegetables.½ head red cabbage, ½ head white cabbage, ½ red onion, 2 spring onions, 1 medium red pepper
- In a mason jar, combine the apple cider vinegar, maple syrup or honey, dijon mustard, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Shake well to combine. Taste the dressing and adjust sweetness if desired by adding more maple syrup.⅓ cup apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 3 tbsp olive oil, ½ juice of lemon, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper
- Add half of the dressing to the coleslaw and toss to coat the vegetables. Gradually add more dressing until you reach the desired consistency and flavour.
- Sprinkle with nuts, fresh herbs and additional sliced spring onions for garnish.2 spring onions, 2 sprigs fresh mint, 3 tbsp dill, ⅓ cup walnuts
- Serve the coleslaw immediately and enjoy!