Rasam Powder Recipe
This Rasam Powder is one of the most basic and essential spice blend powder in any SouthIndian Kitchen. Just like the Sambar Powder, this podi recipe is also an authentic Tamil Brahmin version that my grandmother has perfected over many years.
Learn how to make this authentic Rasam Powder recipe at home.
Let me admit, I have never bought rasam podi from stores ever. My mom or grandmother have always made them for me and send it along every-time I visit India.
Although, my friends do buy MTR rasam powder, Sakthi masala rasam powder or even aachi’s rasam powder, I have never bought one so far.
The packs of rasam podi spice blend that comes along with me usually stays fresh for up to a year. These powder masala is stored in ziplock bags and in small quantities. However the best flavors from the rasam powder can be enjoyed up to 3 months.
Now that my rasam powder masala spice blend from India is nearly over, I have started to make my very own Rasam Powder with my grandmother’s recipe.
Making fresh homemade tamil style rasam powder is actually quite quick and easy.
Simply gather the ingredients as mentioned in the recipe card below and follow the process. This measurement will yield you roughly 2 cups of homemade rasam powder.
HOW TO MAKE SOUTH INDIAN RASAM AT HOME?
To make my South Indian Rasam ( Spiced Tomato based soup ), you will require a few essential ingredients like Tomatoes, Tamarind ( optional ), tuvar dal, curry leaves, coriander leaves, seasoning spices and this homemade Rasam Powder.
To make rasam at home, with this rasam podi, check out my detailed recipe for Tomato Rasam.
I had prepared this Tomato rasam for ASDA supper club Diwali party as a palette cleanser and it received some fabulous reviews from all the guests!
Listing down the ingredients with tamil names below
|Dhaniya ( Coriander Seeds)||: 1 Cup|
|Molagavettal (Dry red Chilli)||: 1/2 Cup|
|Kadala parup (Chana Dal)||: 1 tsp|
|Tuvaram parup(Tur dal)||: 4 tsp|
|Mendiyam (Methi Seeds)||: 1 tsp|
|Jeera (Cumin Seeds)||:2 tsp|
|Karugapulai(Curry Leaves)||:Few for fragrance|
|Peringayam(Asofoetidata)||: 2 tsp|
|Kadugu (Mustard Seeds)||: 1/4 tsp|
HOMEMADE RASAM POWDER PODI RECIPE
- 1 Cup Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Dried Red Chilli
- 1 Tsp Chana Dal
- 4 Tsp Toor Dal
- 1 Tsp Mendiyam
- 2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 20 Curry Leaves
- 2 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1/4 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- Dry Roast Toor Dal, Chana Dal ,Black Pepper, Cumin Seeds, Mustard &Black Pepper in a deep pan until they are dark brown in color.
- Transfer them to a plate and allow them to cool down.
- Now add the Coriander seeds and roast for about 2 minutes until they are just about to change color.
- Lastly, add the red chillies and curry leaves to the same pan and roast until they become warm. Do not over roast the chillies.
- Transfer them to the plate and allow them to cool down.
- Once all the ingredients come down to room temperature, transfer the roasted ingredients to the mixie ( blender ) and grind them to a coarse rasam powder.
- Store the prepared rasam podi powder in air tight container.