Rava Pongal is a SouthIndian savoury breakfast dish made with Semolina & moong dal. Serve this delicious low fat & low calorie Pongal with Coconut Chutney.
Here is how to make Rava Pongal recipe in 30 minutes. Step by Step instructions included.
As the Indian festival of Pongal is just around the corner, I have got you, a low fat, low calorie variation of this delicious Savory dish – RAVA PONGAL.
Flavours in this Sooji Pongal dish is just as the Ven Pongal – so you got to check this recipe out below!!
WHAT IS PONGAL?
PONGAL is a 4 days longThis festival is celebrated on the 14th of January every year, dedicated to the Sun God.
The festival of Makar Sankranti, also falls on the same day as Pongal and is celebrated across India.
Ven Pongal and Sakkarai Pongal are the prepared for this festival as an offering to God. Ven Pongal is savory dish made with Rice and Lentils. Sakkarai Pongal is a sweet dish made with Rice, lentils and jaggery.
INDIAN BREAKFAST RECIPES TO TRY
YOU MIGHT LOVE TO TRY CHUTNEY RECIPES TO ACCOMPANY SOOJI PONGAL
HANDY TIPS TO MAKE PONGAL Recipe
Semolina and Moong Dal can be dry roasted and stored in advance for quicker preparation.
This breakfast recipe is best enjoyed fresh, so its ideal to gather all the ingredients and make it for breakfast. Well, why just breakfast, this low calorie meal is a such a wholesome dish. It can be enjoyed over any meal through out the day.
Remember to use Ghee or combination of ghee+ oil for cooking Pongal. It does enhance the flavor of the dish.
Detailed Step by Step recipe with images right below after the recipe.
IF YOU ENJOY MAKING ANY OF MY RECIPES, PLEASE DON’T FORGET TO TAG #SANDHYASKITCHEN ON INSTAGRAM OR TWITTER!
KEEP IN TOUCH AND DON’T MISS OUT ON ANY OF SANDHYA’S KITCHEN BY SUBSCRIBING BELOW.
RAVA PONGAL RECIPE BELOW
To Cook Moong Dal
- 1/4 Cup Moong Dal
- 1 Cup Water
- 3/4 Cup Rava / Semolina / Sooji
- 21/4 Cup Water
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Tsp Ghee + 1 Tsp Oil
- 1" Ginger ,Grated
- 8-10 Cashew nuts, Split
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper roughly pounded
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds roughly pounded
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1/8 Tsp Asafoetida
- 10-12 Curry Leaves
- Dry Roast Moong Dal in a pan until the color begins to change slightly and its fragrant.Set it aside. Wash the Dal. Cook the Dal with 1 Cup of water in a pressure cooker for 10 minutes and set it aside. Allow the pressure to release naturally. Whisk the Dal until smooth and set it aside.
- Dry Roast the Semolina in low flame until fragrant. Do not let the Rava turn brown. Set it aside.
- Heat Oil + Ghee in a pan. Add Cashewnuts and fry in low flame until they are slightly browned. Add cumin, black pepper, asafoetida, ginger, curry leaves, green chilli and allow the cumin to crackle.
- Add 2 1/4 Cup of Hot water to the Pan and slowly add semolina and stir continuously. When the Semolina is cooked well and all the water is absorbed, add the cooked moong dal mixture & salt. Stir Well.
- Continue to cook for another 2 minutes until the rava pongal mixture is well blended.
- If you enjoy, temper again just before serving the Rava Pongal with coconut chutney.
HOW TO MAKE RAVA PONGAL STEP BY STEP
Dry Roast the Moong Dal and set it aside. Wash the Moong Dal. Add 1 Cup of water to the Moong Dal and pressure cook for 10 minutes or until it is done.
Dry Roast Semolina / Rava and set it aside. Remember not to brown it .
Heat Oil + Ghee in a pan. Add Cashewnuts and fry in low flame until they are slightly browned. Add cumin, black pepper, asafoetida, ginger, curry leaves, green chilli and allow the cumin to crackle.
Add Hot Water, followed by Semolina and stir until well combined.
Gradually add the Moong Dal ( lentil ) to the cooked semolina and simmer to cook for 2 minutes. When the semolina and moong dal are well combined, turn off the flame.
Serve the prepared Rava Pongal with Coconut Chutney and serve. If you would like, you can temper again with ghee.