Making small batch Loquat Jam is a breeze. It’s a straightforward and fuss-free process, whether you make it in an Instant Pot or on the stove. You won’t need any fruit pectin or cornstarch! It’s a fantastic way to put those extra loquats to good use.
About my easy Loquat Jam recipe
With only three simple ingredients, you can whip up homemade Loquat Jam. The preparation method mirrors my easy Instant Pot Strawberry Jam. The great thing is, you have the option to make it either in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop. Just keep in mind that stovetop preparation requires more attention and monitoring throughout the process.
In addition to the loquat fruit, you’ll need sugar and fresh lemon juice. These ingredients act as natural preservatives, ensuring a longer shelf life when used in the right proportions.
As the jam cooks, you’ll notice its colour transforming from yellow to a rich, dark amber, and the texture will become delightfully thicker.
What is Loquat fruit?
Loquat fruit is a small, sweet, and juicy fruit. It’s round or pear-shaped, and when you cut it open, it has a few big seeds inside. The skin is usually a bit fuzzy and can be orange or yellow when ripe.
Loquats are typically available in places with a warm climate, like Southern United States, parts of Europe, and Asia. You can often find them in local fruit markets or grocery stores in these regions during their growing season, which is usually in the spring and early summer.
How to make Loquat jam in instant pot step by step?
- To make Loquat jam in instant pot, begin by placing the prepared loquat fruit and sugar in the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Toss the ingredients together and allow them to marinate, covering for at least 30 minutes.
- After marinating, add the lemon juice to the mixture. Then, set your Instant Pot to pressure cook for 1 minute. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Once the pressure has been released, open the pot. Using a hand blender, carefully blend the jam until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Now, switch to the “Saute” mode and continue to cook for approximately 12 to 15 minutes, or until the jam reaches a jelly-like consistency. As an alternative method, you can use a thermometer to check the temperature. Once it reaches 105°C, you can turn off the Instant Pot. Your jam will naturally thicken as it cools.
- Carefully ladle the jam into sterilised jam jars, leaving about 1/4 inch of clearance at the top. Seal the jars securely. Enjoy.
How to make Loquat jam on stove top?
- In a Dutch oven, combine loquats, sugar, and lemon juice. Heat on medium until it boils, stirring often.
- Halfway through, gently mash the fruit with a potato masher.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes until the foam subsides, and the jam thickens to your liking.
- Remove from heat, let it cool, then transfer to sterilized jars. Refrigerate for short-term use or can for long-term storage. Enjoy your homemade loquat jam!
How to serve Loquat Jam?
Like most jams and marmalade, this Loquat Jam can be enjoyed in a variety of ways.
- Spread it on toast or slice of braided bread – delicious for breakfast
- Incorporate it into baked goods as a filling for pastries, star bread, or braided bread
- Pair with yogurt and granola
Prepare the Loquat Jam for canning
To prepare for water canning, first heat the jam jars or Mason jars by immersing them in simmering water until they are ready for use. Carefully ladle the hot jam into the jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace from the top. Wipe the rim clean, place the center lid on the jar, and apply the band until it is fingertip tight. Repeat this process until all the remaining jars are filled.
Next, process the filled jars by immersing them in boiling water for 5-8 minutes.
You have the option to reduce the sugar by half, but please be aware that the jam will be less sweet in this case.
To expedite the jam-making process, you can add a cornstarch slurry. This thickens the jam quickly, reducing the overall cooking time.
Detailed instructions on jar preparation for canning can be found in my post on “Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate.” Refer to the section on jar preparation for comprehensive guidance.
Yes you can. use water bath technique mentioned above to preserve the homemade loquat jam.
You are welcome to scale up the recipe by doubling or even tripling it. However, be cautious not to overfill the containers beyond the designated maximum line. Pressure cook for 1 minute and continue cooking until the jam reaches your desired consistency.
If you’re using frozen loquats to make jam, add an extra 1 minute to the pressure cooking time. The remainder of the process remains unchanged. You may have to cook a bit longer than with fresh loquats.
Love Instant Pot recipes, you will also love
Homemade Loquat Jam recipe below
Small batch Loquat Jam ( Instant Pot / Stove )Print Pin Rate
- Instant Pot 6 Qt
- 1 lb fresh loquat fruit
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Prepare Loquat fruit – Wash the loquat fruit.Halve the fruit, remove the stones, and the thick skin around them. Cut them in half again and place in the pot.1 lb fresh loquat fruit, ½ cup sugar
Instant Pot Method
- MARINATE – Add quartered loquats and sugar to the Instant Pot inner pot.Stir together. Cover the Instant Pot and let it sit at room temperature for 30-40 minutes.
- PRESSURE COOK HIGH – Open the Instant Pot, add fresh lemon juice, and stir.Secure the lid, set the vent to SEALING.Press Pressure Cook, set the timer to 1 minute.After the timer, let it naturally release pressure for 15-18 minutes. Turn the vent to VENT and remove the lid. Press 'CANCEL' to turn off Keep Warm.2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- MASH – Blend the marinated loquats to make jam using a hand blender blender or potato masher. If you like it chunky, blend only half the jam.
- SAUTE – Press SAUTE and let the mixture boil for 12-15 minutes until it reaches a gel-like consistency.Skim off any foam that forms.
- STORE – Ladle the jam into sterilised containers, leaving 1/4 inch of space at the top. Seal the jars. Once cooled, store the jam in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.Enjoy your homemade loquat jam!
Stove Top Method
- Combine the chopped loquats, granulated sugar, and lemon juice in a Dutch oven. Heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Gently mash the fruit with a potato masher or using an immersion blender when it's about halfway through cooking. Cook for 30-40 minutes until the foam subsides, and the jam thickens to your preferred consistency.Remove it from the heat, and then transfer the hot jam to sterilised jars. Seal tight. Store in the refrigerator.
- TEST IF THE JAM IS READY – Place two small plates in the freezer for 15 minutes.To test the jam, put a drop on a chilled plate and refrigerate for 30 seconds.After 30 seconds, run your finger through the drop. If it forms a crinkle and feels tacky, it's ready.If not, boil for 1-2 more minutes.Alternatively use a food thermometer to check if the jam has heated to 105°C