This easy Indian Spinach roti is healthy and loaded with the goodness of spinach. Enjoy this homemade spinach flatbread on its own or served with your favorite curry.
THE BEST SPINACH ROTI
Call it Spinach roti, Phulka Roti with Spinach, or spinach flatbread, this popular Indian flatbread recipe is made with spinach, whole wheat flour, and spices. If you have not tried this yet, you are clearly missing out on something delicious.
When I came across Baloon flatbread on social media, I had a hearty laugh. These are actually the flame-baked Phulka Roti like the image above.
Enjoy this easy Indian spinach flatbread with anything. It goes well with this Chickpeas Tikka Masala, 5 minutes Cucumber Raita or just on its own too. You can also use them as spinach tortilla’s and load them with fillings of your choice.
The Spinach Rotis taste best when they are fresh. Store any leftover roti covered in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Reheat thoroughly in the microwave and serve immediately.
Rotis are easy to make, however, with a little practice, you can ace them. This Roti dough is versatile, and I have stuffed potato filling and made Stuffed Aloo Palak Paratha.
Did I tell you, it’s kid-friendly flatbread and perfect for lunch boxes too.
What is Spinach Roti?
Spinach Roti has Whole wheat flour(Chapati Atta), Spinach Puree, and spices. Combine them together to make a soft dough. Then roll into thin flatbreads, and either pan-cook or flame bake them. Sweep a delicate spread of ghee, if you like. You can omit ghee if you are Vegan!
Stack the prepared roti’s in a casserole dish to keep them warm and soft.
Why you’ll love this recipe?
Healthy Flatbread – This roti is packed with the goodness of spinach and is made of whole wheat flour ( chapati atta)
Fantastic way to sneak in greens – I find blending the spinach into a puree and then making it into a roti is a great way to sneak in vegetables. When my kids were younger, they hated spinach, but they loved these puffed-up soft roti’s.
More roti – Easy to scale up or down!
Dietary needs – Naturally Vegetarian. Can be Vegan if you use Vegan butter for smearing on the hot roti.
Versatile – If you have any leftover dough, try stuffing some spiced potato mixture and make paratha’s like this Aloo Palak Paratha.
How to make Spinach Roti step by step?
Prepare the Roti Dough – Combine the Chapati Atta ( Whole Wheat flour ), Spinach puree, salt, ground cumin and knead to a soft pliable dough. If needed add a splash of water at a time for kneading. Allow it to rest for at least 20 minutes. It helps in making soft spinach flatbreads.
Make the Roti – Divide the roti into 20 pieces. Pick one roti dough at a time, dust with flour, and roll into a thin phuka.
Heat a non-stick pan / tava and cook each roti on the pan until you start to see some bubbles. About 1 minute. Flip the roti and cook for another minute or so.
FLAME BAKE THE ROTI – Lift the partially cooked roti and place it on low flame and watch them begin to puff up slowly. Flipped the puffed roti and cook for another few seconds. Carefully remove the phulka roti with tongs and place them in a casserole. Smear some ghee on the roti if you like.
COOK THE ROTI ON THE TAVA – If you don’t want to flame bake it, continue to cook the roti for a few more seconds. Put gentle pressure using a flat spatula on each side and then set them aside in a casserole to keep it warm.
Serve Spinach Roti with your favorite achar (Indian pickle) and yogurt.
If you love this recipe, you will also love these Indian flatbread recipes
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
Easy Spinach roti recipe below
- 2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 4 Cup Spinach Palak
- ¼ Cup Water + more
- ½ Inch Ginger
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- ¾ -1 Tsp Salt
- 1 -2 Green Chillies Optional
- 1 Tbsp Sunflower Oil or Oil of your choice
- Ghee or Vegan Butter as needed ( Optional )
* Cup size us IKEA plastic cup
- Blanch the Spinach – Add Spinach, boiling water from the kettle and a pinch of salt to a pot. Allow them to blanch for 5-6 minutes in medium flame. Drain the spinach leaves to a colanderand run them under cold tap water.
- SPinach Puree – Blend the blanched spinach leaves along with ginger and make a fine puree. Approximately yields ¾ Cup. Add very little water if needed **In case you are not making it for kids, you can add 2 green chillies to grind along with the spinach leaves.
- Spinach roti dough- In a large mixing bowl, combine the spinach puree, whole wheat flour, salt, cumin powder and start kneading. Add a little more water as you knead until you achieve soft pliable dough. Splash the sunflower oil onto your hands and the remaining on the dough and knead . Set the dough to rest for 20 Minutes or so.
- Roll the Roti Thin – Divide the dough into 20 equal portions. Pick one portion of dough at a time, dust flour and roll into thin roti. Heat a non-stick pan / tava and cook each roti on the pan slightly for a few minutes until you start to see some bubbles. Flip the roti and cook for another a minute or so .
- Flame Bake -Place the partially cooked roti on the flame carefully , watch them begin to puff up slowly. Flip it and allow it puff up on the other side as well. Remove from the flame and smear ghee, if you like. Pile them into a casserole.
- Pan Cook – Incase you do not want to flame bake it, cook for a few more minutes on the pan. Put a gentle pressure using a flat spatula on each side and then set them aside in a casserole to keep it warm.
- Serve warm spinach roti with your favourite side.