I think that one recipe, that you need for Christmas this year is “Smashed potatoes with rosemary and feta cheese“.
We have a serious addiction to potatoes and we could have them for every other meal of the day. Breakfast potatoes toastie and maybe some roast potatoes to accompany tomato rasam for lunch/ dinner and what not!! Our humble potatoes when seasoned & flavored well, to be standard on the team or humble potatoes when the flavors are ready to be a stunner on the table.
We recently watched “Nigella on the table” program on the television and I absolutely loved how she paired Feta Cheese with roast potatoes. This was somewhere my inspiration to add crumbled feta cheese to my smashed potatoes.
I really cannot get enough on the combination of flavors that goes on goes along with the potatoes. This recipe is quite special and let me tell you if you have got any leftover potatoes you could go ahead and make some mind-blowing toasted smashed potatoes sandwiches. So you have many many reasons to make a platter full of smashed potatoes.
Well, the concept is really very simple. I have used small King Edward potatoes for this recipe, but do not fret if they are large in size. Just slice them into two and smash them. Ideally, Any baby potatoes or small sized potatoes will work for this recipe, just remember to pick up similar sized potatoes so they cook evenly. Now boil the potatoes until fork tender and set it aside. Now the fun begins – wrap a kitchen tissue paper around your fist and bang the potatoes in a way that they are in one piece , still you could expose a lot from inside of the potatoes.
Wasn’t it fun???
Just enjoy see evening to sort your palate. I have used a combination of garlic rosemary lime and sea salt for seasoning the potatoes. A bit of Parmesan and finally served it along with feta cheese.
What is Smashed Potatoes?
The Term “Smashed Potatoes” also known as Batatas a Murro is a traditional Portuguese Dish. It is known for its unique method of preparation. They’re absolutely comforting food just presented in a unique way. These potatoes look gorgeous on the table and would make a perfect accompaniment on the Christmas menu.
I really hope you’re making some smashed potatoes this Christmas.
When I recently mentioned it to a friend of mine, she had raised eyebrows as she has never heard of it before and she was so keen on making it.
Smashed Potatoes with Rosemary & Feta Cheese
- 1 kg Co-op King Edward Potatoes
- 2 Cloves of Garlic grated
- 2 Cloves of Garlic whole
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sea Salt & pepper as needed
- 1/4 Cup Rosemary roughly chopped
- 3-4 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese as needed
- 1/4 Cup of Olive Oil
- 150 g Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Wash & Scrub Potatoes well and boil them in enough water with 1/2 Tsp of Salt until fork tender.
- In a small bowl, add Olive Oil, juice of a lime, a good pinch of salt, pepper, and finely grated garlic. Mix well and set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. On a large baking sheet place the smashed potatoes carefully, generously drizzle half the olive oil mixture over them, rosemary and garlic. Bake them in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle a generous serving of grated parmesan on the potatoes and return the potatoes to the oven for 10-14 minutes until they melt and render a crispy texture on the top.
- Serve the Smashed Potatoes with some Crumbled Feta Cheese and Rosemary. Enjoy them on its own or serve them along with the main meal. They still work as a treat.
King Edward potatoes are just amazing to make any kind of roast potatoes however they do work well for other potato dishes too. How about trying some Aloo ( Potato ) Raseedar or Dhaba Style Aloo Matar? King Edward Potatoes are available to purchase from Co-op Food. @coopukfood
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Co-op Food.