Call it Pulav or Pilav Rice its the same.. No complications No jhat jhat… .Just as the name .. easy peesy. We had Chilli Soya ,Pulav Rice & raitha for dinner during the easter break for friends… I have learnt this recipe every since I have been a kid… All credits to my dear mommy for this one!!
Total time taken: 45 minutes
2 No’s Medium sized
Handful – About 8-10 No’s
Green Chillies (optional)
Freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
Whole Spices | Garam Masala’s:
Whole Black Pepper
Chopped Coriander Leaves
Cashew Nuts fried in ghee
- Wash Basmati rice under running tap water
twice. Drain all the water and set the rice aside for 30 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, dice the carrots and French beans.
Prepare the garden peas by soaking them in water.
- Heat ghee / knob of butter in a pan. Fry the
cashewnuts in the lowest setting, turning either side until light brown.
Drain them onto a kitchen towel.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. ghee in a non-stick pan with a
tightly fitted lid. Drop in Black Cumin Seeds & whole spices. Sauté
for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped vegetables, sliced green chillies,
garden peas & sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in the Basmati rice and sauté
along the vegetables for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in 5 Cups of Water of boiled water from
the kettle and adjust the salt. . Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice. Set
the flame to medium.
- Once the water from the pulav is nearly
evaporated, cover, and then reduce the setting to lowest. Allow the rice
to cook for 5 minutes and switch off the gas. Even if the gas is turned off,
I would let the rice be covered for another 5 minutes. Rice cooks with the
leftover steam. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and fried cashew nuts.
- Fluffy vegetable rice is ready to be served
along with Curry or a Raitha.
- My mom would cook them all up in the cooker.. and I prefer the open pot..
- Use 2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter if Ghee is unavailable.
When I cook Rice for kids, I avoid adding the
Optional vegetables: Potatoes