Have you tried Nando’s spicy rice at home? Try our homemade version of Nando’s spicy rice recipe. Its FAST, EASY, takes 30 minutes, and just ONE PAN. Plus tastes as delicious as the rice from Nando’s restaurant. Make this fakeaway recipe with our step-by-step instructions below.
The Homemade Nando’s spicy rice recipe ready in 30 minutes
We love Nando’s restaurant food and its on our favorite restaurant list. When I really cannot make it to the restaurant, I make Nando’s rice at home and you will be surprised that this tasty rice requires minimal ingredients and still so flavorsome. This fakeaway favourite is as easy as making plain yellow rice or white rice with just 2 extra steps.
This mildly spiced Portuguese rice is so versatile, that it is so good to enjoy on its own in a rice bowl or even tuck into your wrap or burritos. Like it spicer, drizzle some peri peri sauce on the rice before serving. My to-go sauce is Mild Peri-Peri, but my husband prefers Hot Peri Peri.
We ensure there is leftover to pack some for lunch boxes the next day!
Why make this Vegan Spicy Nando’s rice recipe?
- Fast, Easy, and Budget-Friendly. Get the taste of a restaurant, right at the comfort of your home.
- Dietary requirements – Vegan and Gluten-Free too
- Perfect fakeaway recipe!
- It is a delicious one-pot recipe, that requires minimal ingredients to create a fantastic restaurant standard dish.
- Completely customizable – Add any vegetables of your choice like carrots and sweet corn too. You also add a vegan protein like tofu or vegan chicken!
- Perfect make-ahead recipe and works great for school lunch boxes too.
- Screams Portuguese flavors.
Ingredients you will need
Long Grain Rice – Any rice variety will work, but my preference is Extra Long Basmati rice. I love Tilda brand rice that perfect for making Veg Biryani or Yellow rice too.
Peppers – Red Peppers or/ and Green Peppers works well in the recipe. Dice them into slightly larger than the onions, else they can get mushy.
Green Peas – Frozen Peas works perfect in this recipe.
Spice Powders – I like to add Ground Cumin ( make it at home with Cumin seeds with my recipe ), Turmeric, Chilli Powder, and Smoked Paprika.
Salt to taste. Keep in mind, stock cube has a bit of salt, so add accordingly.
Stock Cube – Veg Stock cube lends an aromatic flavor to the fried rice. If you are not a Vegan/Vegetarian – you can also use Chicken Stock cube.
Water – I prefer to use Boiling water from the kettle, as this will reduce the cooking time.
Olive Oil or any other Neutral flavor oil will work.
How to make Nando’s Copycat Spicy rice at home?
To make this Homemade Nando’s fried rice, the very first step is to rinse the long grain rice well and soak it in water for about 15 minutes. In the meanwhile dice the onions, peppers, garlic and gather the spices. These is all the preparation steps needed in this rice recipe.
Having Fluffy, separated rice is the key thing in this spicy Portuguese fried rice recipe, so I would highly recommend – do not skip the rinsing and soaking step. Also, I love using Extra long grain Basmati rice.
Next, heat the oil in a pan with a tight-fitting light. Add the chopped onions, garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Cook until fragrant and soft. Now add red pepper, spice powders, salt, and saute briefly.
Drain the rice after 15 minutes and add the rice to the pan and saute for a minute until lightly toasty.
Add the green peas, water, stock cube, and allow the rice to boil over medium heat, say 6-7 minutes. At this stage, you will find the water has nearly evaporated and is at the level of the rice.
Now carefully place the lid, simmer for 6-7 minutes. After 5 minutes, turn off the flame and allow the rice to stand for another 5 minutes. Fluff and serve the rice immediately.
For extra spicy fried rice, drizzle Nandos hot peri peri sauce or Sriracha before serving. ( optional )
Nando’s spicy rice is delicious with all your Nando’s favorites like Macho Peas, Vegetable Burger, Coleslaw, and anything with Peri Peri sauce. It is so versatile, this rice can be tucked with our homemade Falafel, Salad, and Peri-Peri Sauce inside the wrap. These are delicious as a component of rice bowl too.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RICE, YOU WILL ALSO LOVE
One Pot Mushroom rice
Restaurant Style Portuguese Spicy fried rice recipe below
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 2 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1½ Cup Water
- 1 Veg Stock cube
- 1 Medium White onion diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Small Red Pepper diced
- ¾ Cup Frozen Green Peas
- ¾ Tsp Turmeric
- ½ Tsp ground cumin
- ½ Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ Tsp Smoked Paprika
- Salt to taste
- Wash the rice until clear and soak for 15 minutes in cold water. Drain and set aside. Heat oil in the Pan and add the onion, garlic. Saute, and cook for two minutes until fragrant.
- Now add diced red pepper, turmeric, chilli powder, smoked paprika, cumin and salt. Saute briefly for 1 minute.
- Add the rinsed rice and fry for 3-4 minutes until toasty.
- Add 1 1/2 Cup Boiling Water, green peas and stock cube. Stir and allow the rice to boil in medium heat.
- When the water has evaporated to the level of rice, place a lid on the pan and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes. Once the rice has cooked, turn the heat off. Leave the lid on for a few more minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve Homemade Nando's spicy rice with your takeaway favorite.