These easy American-style pancakes are super simple, perfect for brunch, breakfast, or even a delightful dessert. With just 7 ingredients and a total of 20 minutes, these fluffy pancakes will be on your table. They are a foolproof crowd-pleaser. Master the art of creating these delectable American pancakes with our step-by-step guide—ideal for celebrating Pancake Day too!
About this recipe for Homemade American style fluffy pancakes from scratch
Who doesn’t love a fool proof pancake recipe? These fluffy American style pancakes are so simple, you can get your kids involved in making them. Apart from the ingredients, all you need is two bowls, a whisk, a frying pan.
A few years ago, I asked my chef friend for his virtually foolproof recipe for American pancakes, and I followed it step by step and used all his tips. However my American style pancakes did not turn out fluffy, something went wrong and I realised that I used an expired packet of baking powder. But I didn’t give up, I made the pancakes all over again with a fresh packet of baking powder and it worked like a charm.
My pancakes turned out perfectly fluffy and we had a gorgeous stack of pancakes ready for breakfast.
Why should you try this homemade fluffy pancakes recipe?
- This recipe is tried and tested by many readers and is a fail-safe recipe for fluffy American pancakes.
- The pancakes are fluffy and delicious, sure to please friends and family.
- The recipe uses basic pantry ingredients that are readily available.
- Simple recipe that can be easily customised to suit your taste preferences by adding in ingredients like chocolate chips, blueberries etc
- Fantastic recipe to cook with kids.
- Plain Flour or All Purpose Flour: The main ingredient for pancakes, it provides structure.
- Baking Powder: A leavening agent that helps make pancakes rise and become fluffy. Alternatively sub plain flour and baking powder with self raising flour.
- Milk: Makes pancakes moist and gives a creamy texture. You can also use any Non-dairy milk if you love.
- Butter or Oil: Melted butter adds flavour and richness, helps cook evenly. Alternatively use Vegetable or sunflower oil.
- Egg: Binds ingredients together and gives softer texture.
- Sugar: Adds sweetness to pancakes.
- Salt: Balances flavours in pancakes.
- Vanilla extract: Adds vanilla flavour, Optional. Substitution: Vanilla bean paste
- Lemon zest or Orange zest: Adds fresh and citrusy flavour, Optional.
Making the Pancake Batter
Dry Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Sift the mixture to make sure all ingredients are evenly distributed.
Wet Ingredients: In another mixing bowl, mix together milk, melted butter or oil, egg, vanilla extract (optional) and lemon zest (optional)
Combining the Ingredients: Gradually pour the wet ingredients mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until you have a smooth pancake batter. Allow the batter to rest for 3-4 minutes before cooking the pancakes.
How to make Fluffy Pancakes?
To make fluffy pancakes, start by heating a cast iron frying pan over medium heat. Grease the pan with oil or butter.
Next, pour 2 tablespoons of batter onto the skillet, spreading it out slightly. Cook for 1 minute or until bubbles begin to form on the surface. Flip the pancake and cook for an additional minute.
Repeat this process with the remaining batter until you have a stack of pancakes.
Serve the pancakes warm with maple syrup and berries on top
- Chocolate Chip Pancakes: Add chocolate chips to the pancake batter for a delicious chocolatey twist.
- Blueberry Pancakes: Stir in fresh or frozen blueberries to the pancake batter to make American-style blueberry pancakes.
What to serve with Classic American Pancakes?
- Classic Combo: Enjoy your classic American pancakes with maple syrup, butter, and berries. This is my favourite combo.
- Tasty Toppings: Try honey, butter, jam, icing sugar, salted caramel sauce, or Nutella.
- Healthy Option: Top with Greek yogurt, fresh fruit, and a drizzle of honey.
- Kid-Friendly Fun: My kids love whipped cream, maple syrup, and banana on their pancakes.
- Syrup Variety: Experiment with chocolate, caramel, or peanut butter syrups.
- Upgrade: Take it up a notch by adding a dollop of whipped cream on top of your pancakes for an extra touch of indulgence.
How to keep Pancakes warm?
To keep pancakes warm for everyone to enjoy brunch together, it’s easy! Just preheat the oven to 120°C (100°C fan/250°F) or to the lowest setting. Place an ovenproof tray or a baking sheet with parchment paper. After cooking the pancakes, put them on the sheets. Now you have a big stack of pancakes for the whole family!
Can you freeze American style pancakes?
To freeze American pancakes, let them cool completely on a rack. Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze for 1-2 hours until firm. Stack with parchment paper in between, wrap tightly in plastic or foil, or use a sealable freezer bag. Label with the date and store in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. When ready to eat, reheat in the oven, or microwave. Easy and convenient!
How to reheat Frozen pancakes?
Reheating frozen pancakes is quick and easy. Simply take the frozen pancakes out of the freezer and reheat in the oven, air fryer or microwave. Place the frozen pancakes on a microwave-safe plate and heat them in 20-30 second intervals until warm.
Tips to make perfectly fluffy American Pancakes every time
If you’re finding your pancakes are deflating, chances are there’s a key step you might be missing. Having faced this issue myself, I can assure you that incorporating these two essential tips and tricks will lead you to pancake perfection.
The secret to achieving the fluffiest American pancakes is allowing the batter to rest for 3-4 minutes. This enables the baking powder to activate, resulting in airy and fluffy pancakes. Whether you opt for plain flour or substitute it with self-raising flour, make it a point to let the batter rest.
Additionally, always check the expiration dates of your ingredients. Ensure that both the baking powder and flour are within their specified dates to guarantee optimal freshness and rise in your pancakes.
Consider adding vanilla extract and zest of lemon / orange to the batter for extra flavour.
If you love this pancake recipe, you will also love these easy
Easy homemade fluffy American Pancakes recipe below
- 1 Cup + 2 Tbsp Plain Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Tsp Sunflower or Melted Butter
- 1 Large Egg, Slightly Beaten
- Orange Zest for flavor – Optional
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract – Optional
Maple Syrup, Butter & Berries
- Sift the Flour, Baking Powder, Caster Sugar and Salt together. In another bowl, mix milk, oil and lightly beaten egg. Add the wet ingredients to dry gradually with constant whisking in between, making sure there is no lump formation. Add orange zest and give it a good mix.
- Heat the non-stick pan on medium heat, making sure it is hot. Using a tissue paper, coat a layer of oil on it. Pour 2 small tablespoon of the batter onto the pan, allowing it to spread on its own. When the bubbles begin to appear, flip the pancake and cook for another 1 minute or so. The pancakes would rise about 1/2 inch. Fry until they turn slightly golden.
- Repeat the process until all the batter is used up. Keep the pancakes warm by stacking them in an oven ( heated at the lowest setting). I could make 8 Pancakes with this measurement.
- Serve the stack of Fluffy American Pancakes with Maple Syrup, butter and fresh Blueberries like I did.