Looking for a quick and easy recipe for fluffy American pancakes? This recipe uses just 7 ingredients and takes only 20 minutes to make. Serve with maple syrup, butter, and berries for the perfect breakfast or brunch treat. All you need is two bowls, a whisk, and a frying pan. Learn how to make easy American pancakes step-by-step with this recipe.
About this recipe for Homemade fluffy American style pancakes
I love making fluffy pancakes for breakfast, but sometimes they can turn out deflated and thin.
A few years ago, I asked my chef friend for a fail-proof recipe for American pancakes, and I followed it step by step. But my pancakes did not turn out fluffy, something went wrong and I realised that I used an expired packet of baking powder. But I didn’t give up, I made the pancakes all over again with a fresh packet of baking powder and it worked!
My pancakes turned out perfectly fluffy and we had a gorgeous stack of pancakes ready for breakfast. The secret to making fluffy American pancakes is to allow the batter to rest for 3-4 minutes so that the baking powder gets activated and makes the pancakes airy and fluffy.
Why should you try this homemade fluffy pancakes recipe?
- This recipe is a tried and true, fail-safe recipe for fluffy American pancakes.
- The pancakes are fluffy and delicious, sure to please friends and family.
- The recipe uses basic pantry ingredients that are readily available.
- Simple recipe that can be easily customised to suit your taste preferences by adding in ingredients like chocolate chips, blueberries etc
- Perfect for breakfast or brunch.
- Many readers have successfully made this recipe with great results.
- Fantastic recipe to make with kids.
- Plain Flour or All Purpose Flour: The main ingredient for pancakes, it provides structure.
- Baking Powder: A leavening agent that helps make pancakes rise and become fluffy.
- Milk: Makes pancakes moist and gives a creamy texture.You can use any Non-dairy milk if you love.
- Melted Butter or Oil: Melted butter adds flavour and richness, helps cook evenly. Alternatively use Vegetable or sunflower oil.
- Egg: Binds ingredients together and gives softer texture.
- Sugar: Adds sweetness to pancakes.
- Salt: Balances flavours in pancakes.
- Vanilla extract: Adds vanilla flavour, Optional. Substitution: Vanilla bean paste
- Lemon zest or Orange zest: Adds fresh and citrusy flavour, Optional.
Making the Pancake Batter
In a mixing bowl, combine plain flour or all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Sift the mixture to make sure all ingredients are evenly distributed.
In another mixing bowl, mix together milk, melted butter or oil, egg, vanilla extract (optional) and lemon zest (optional)
Combining the Ingredients:
Gradually pour the wet ingredients mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until you have a smooth batter. Allow the batter to rest for 3-4 minutes before cooking the pancakes.
How to make Fluffy Pancakes?
To make fluffy pancakes, start by heating a cast iron frying pan over medium heat. Grease the pan with oil or butter.
Next, pour 2 tablespoons of batter onto the skillet, spreading it out slightly. Cook for 1 minute or until bubbles begin to form on the surface. Flip the pancake and cook for an additional minute.
Repeat this process with the remaining batter until you have a stack of pancakes.
Serve the pancakes warm with maple syrup and berries on top
- Chocolate Chip Pancakes: Add chocolate chips to the pancake batter for a delicious chocolatey twist.
- Blueberry Pancakes: Stir in fresh or frozen blueberries to the pancake batter to make American-style blueberry pancakes.
What to serve with Classic Fluffy Pancakes?
Fluffy pancakes have a variety of serving options, some suggestions include
- Maple Syrup, Butter, and berries (such as strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries) are great toppings for pancakes.
- Other suggested toppings include honey and butter, jam, icing sugar, salted caramel sauce and Nutella.
- For a healthier option, you can also top your pancakes with Greek yogurt, fresh fruit, and a drizzle of honey.
- My kids love whipped cream, maple syrup and banana on their pancakes.
- You can also experiment with different syrups like chocolate, caramel, and peanut butter.
- Consider adding a dollop of whipped cream on top of your pancakes for a richer and more decadent experience.
If you love this pancake cake recipe, you will also love these easy
Easy homemade fluffy American Pancakes recipe below
- 1 Cup + 2 Tbsp Plain Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Tsp Sunflower or Melted Butter
- 1 Large Egg, Slightly Beaten
- Orange Zest for flavor – Optional
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract – Optional
Maple Syrup, Butter & Berries
- Sift the Flour, Baking Powder, Caster Sugar and Salt together. In another bowl, mix milk, oil and lightly beaten egg. Add the wet ingredients to dry gradually with constant whisking in between, making sure there is no lump formation. Add orange zest and give it a good mix.
- Heat the non-stick pan on medium heat, making sure it is hot. Using a tissue paper, coat a layer of oil on it. Pour 2 small tablespoon of the batter onto the pan, allowing it to spread on its own. When the bubbles begin to appear, flip the pancake and cook for another 1 minute or so. The pancakes would rise about 1/2 inch. Fry until they turn slightly golden.
- Repeat the process until all the batter is used up. Keep the pancakes warm by stacking them in an oven ( heated at the lowest setting). I could make 8 Pancakes with this measurement.
- Serve the stack of Fluffy American Pancakes with Maple Syrup, butter and fresh Blueberries like I did.