Spice up your mealtime with a unique and flavourful twist! Try our easy Baingan Bharta Recipe, the perfect Indian roasted aubergine mash that pairs with Roti, Naan bread, or Parathas. Ready in just 30 minutes and using basic pantry staples, it’s a must-try for your family.
About this Baingan Bharta recipe
Baingan Bharta is a staple side dish in restaurants and is loved for its unique smoky flavours and simple preparation. Despite its popularity, it’s a recipe that you can easily make at home in just 30 minutes with basic pantry staples.
Even if you’re not a fan of aubergine, this recipe for Punjabi Aubergine Mash is sure to win you over with its smoky flavour and delicious taste. This recipe has a special place in my heart as I learned it from a family friend after moving to the UK a few years ago.
And the best part? It’s vegan, gluten-free, keto friendly, and great for a low-carb diet.
What is Baingan Bharta?
Baingan Bharta is a popular North Indian side dish made with roasted aubergine(eggplant). It is roasted, then mashed and mixed with spices to create a smoky and flavourful dish.
Perfect Way to Roast Aubergine for Baingan Bharta Recipe
Start by making three deep slits and inserting garlic cloves into the aubergine. Then, choose from one of the three roasting methods:
Flame Roasting: Get the perfect char by roasting aubergine over an open flame for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally. Let cool, peel the skin, and mash for the perfect dish.
Oven Roasting: Roast in a 220 C preheated oven for 30-40 minutes for a mess-free option. While it won’t add the smoky flavor, it’s still a tasty choice.
Air Frying: A quick and convenient option with reduced mess and hands-on time, achieve delicious results by air frying your aubergine.
Top Tips to make the best Baingan Bharta
The most important step of this recipe is to properly roast the aubergine so that the charred skin peels off easily after cooling.
When it comes to seasoning, use minimal spices, such as chili powder and coriander powder. You can also add garam masala if desired. Lemon juice is optional, but not included in this recipe.
Lastly, make sure to use only fresh tomatoes for the best results.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Authentic North Indian side dish that you can make at home
- Smoky and delicious
- Ready in just 30 minutes
- Perfect with roti, naan, or paratha
- Dietary needs: Vegan, gluten-free, keto-friendly, and suitable for low-carb diets
If you love this recipe, you will also love
- Brinjal Bhaji
- Creamy Aubergine Curry
- Roasted Aubergine ( Eggplant )
- Moong Dal Tadka
- Cucumber Raita
- Paneer Peshawari
- Baked Malai Kofta
Easy Baingan Bharta recipe below
Baingan Bharta recipe (Indian roasted aubergine mash)Print Pin Rate
- 1 Large Aubergine Eggplant / Baingan/ Brinjal
- 6 cloves Garlic peeled
- 2 Medium sized Onions diced
- 3 Large Tomatoes diced
- 1 tbsp Ginger grated
- 2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp kasuri methi optional
- Wash the aubergine/ eggplant, wipe clean and pat dry.
- Make 3 long slits and place one clove of garlic inside each slit. Place the aubergine directly on the flame and roast evenly until the skin has charred completely. This process can take up to 12 minutes.
- Remove the roasted aubergine from the flame and place them on chopping board and allow them to cool.
- Peel the skin of the aubergine and simply mash the cooled aubergine and the garlic cloves with a potato masher or a fork . Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the ginger & garlic and sauté briefly for 90 seconds -2 minutes until they begin to change the color.
- Add the onions and sauté till they are translucent ( approximately 3 minutes or so)
- Add the tomatoes and cook until the onion tomato masala is cooked and oil starts leaving out of the masala.
- Add the mashed aubergine & garlic, chilli powder, coriander powder and mix well. Lower the heat and cook further for another 5 – 6 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add coriander leaves. If you like add kasuri methi at this stage.
- Stir well and serve hot with roti.