Looking for the perfect showstopping dessert to serve at your holiday gatherings? Look no further than this easy Christmas trifle! This classic British dessert is a layered masterpiece made with sponge, jelly, fruit, custard, and whipped cream.
It’s the perfect make-ahead dessert for your holiday gatherings.
About this easy-peasy homemade Christmas Trifle
This easy-peasy homemade Christmas trifle is sure to become your new favorite holiday dessert. With layers of sponge cake, fruit, custard, and whipped cream, it’s a delicious and impressive treat that is easy to make and can be customized with your favorite fruit or other ingredients.
You can make one large trifle for sharing or a small portion of individual trifles jars for everyone to enjoy. Either way, your family and friends are going to love it.
We enjoy this layered British dessert all year long with seasonal fruits. However, it is traditionally served at Christmas time, which is why it is also called a Christmas trifle.
So easy to make
One of the best things about trifle is that it’s easy to make and can be prepared in advance. You can make all the different components a day ahead and then assemble the trifle before serving.
Did you also know this trifle is also a very customizable dessert? You can use any type of fruit or other ingredients that you like to create your own unique version. This makes it a great choice for people with different dietary preferences or tastes. I have used strawberries in the recipe. So whether you’re a fan of raspberry, blueberry, or mixed berry trifle, you can use this recipe as a guide.
Trifle is the perfect make-ahead dessert for Christmas, as it can be kept in the fridge and served chilled. This allows the flavors to develop and intensify and makes it an ideal dessert to make a day ahead.
It’s a classic choice that is sure to be a hit with everyone.
Different layers of the Christmas trifle
Our Christmas trifle has 4 layers and toppings.
Sponge: The base is made with sponge cake, which can be a Trifle sponge or any light, spongy cake like Madeira cake that has been cut into small pieces
Fruits: The second layer is made with fruit or fruit compote. In this recipe, strawberries are used, but you can also use a jelly layer or a bit of jam for a variation
Custard: The third layer is a creamy custard made with eggs, milk, and sugar. I have used store-bought good quality vanilla custard to simplify and speed up the dessert process.
Whipped Cream: The final layer of the trifle is a layer of whipped cream, beaten to a stiff peak.
Toppings: Finally, the trifle is garnished with nuts, chocolate shavings, or additional fruits.
How to store Christmas trifle jars?
To store Christmas trifles in jars, simply place the trifle in covered containers or jars and keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it. The chilled temperature helps to keep the layers separate and allows the flavors to develop.
To help keep the trifle fresh, you can also place a layer of plastic wrap directly on top of the trifle before sealing the jar.
It’s best to consume the trifle within 2-3 days of making it, as the flavors and textures may change over time. However, if stored properly, the trifle can last for up to a week in the fridge.
If you love these Christmas Trifle Jars, you will also love
Easy Christmas trifle recipe below
- 12 Trifle Sponge
- Double Cream
- Strawberry Jam
- 100 g Fresh Strawberries
- Hartley’s Black Cherry Jelly
- 1 pint of Water hot + cold separately for making the Jelly
- Lemon wedge sugar
- For the desired look you will need 2 glass cups. Wipe a wedge of lemon around the edge of each cup . Dip the cups in a bowl of sugar, moving it round clockwise until the rim is covered in sugar. Set aside until they are ready to be filled.
For making the trifle,
- I have set a small portion of jelly in my trifle cups.
- Over that I have placed the trifle sponge. Prepare the trifle sponge by slicing them into 3 -4 pieces, pushing down to make sure it covers the jelly. Next pour the raspberry syrup generously over the sponge.
- Take the chilled jelly from the fridge and spoon into the cup on top of the sponge.
- Spoon in some custard on top of your jelly layer. Next whip cream and apply over the fresh custard.
- Finally place a couple of fresh strawberries on top and pop in the fridge to chill for two hours before enjoying with family and friends.
To make the jelly
- Make the jelly according to the packet instructions.
To make the syrup
- Add ¼ pot of Hartley’s strawberry jam to a sauce pan with your fresh strawberries. Cook on a medium heat for 5-10 minutes before removing from the heat and leaving to cool.
For making whipped cream
- All that you need is a bowl, double cream/whipping cream and a paddle attachment mixer. Keep the mixer on from low to medium speed until desired peak is achieved.