This ultimate recipe for Ladi Pav, the soft and fluffy dinner rolls that are impossible to resist. With only six simple ingredients, these eggless rolls are the perfect accompaniment to any meal. Enjoy them with Pav Bhaji or alongside a creamy Tortellini Soup.
Don’t have Yeast, try this No Yeast Bread!
My easy homemade soft Dinner rolls recipe
But when I moved to the UK , I couldn’t find them nearby. So, I started making my own using a simple eggless recipe with just a few ingredients. And I finally mastered my recipe for Easy Soft Dinner Rolls recipe with subtle tweaks over the years.
With the help of my trusty kitchen aid stand mixer and Instant Yeast, it’s as easy as dump, knead, proof, and bake. Serve these fluffy rolls with your favourite side or soup.
Quick Video on How to make Soft Dinner rolls at home below
Tips for making Perfect Dinner Rolls at home
- Measure out the ingredients in a large bowl: This simplifies the process since the recipe involves dumping and kneading, eliminating the need for many bowls.
- Consider the quantity of flour: It may vary based on your location and weather. Adjust the amount according to humidity and altitude.
- Check the expiry date of the yeast: Valid dated yeast is essential as it plays a crucial role in the bread recipe.
- Utilise the Delayed Fat Method: Add butter later in the recipe to prevent fats from hindering gluten development, which is vital for the dinner rolls’ structure.
- Don’t skip the proofing step: You can proof the dough in an Instant Pot or a greased bowl. Both methods work well, with the Instant Pot speeding up the process.
- Second rising: After the dough completes its first rise, punch it back, shape it into dinner rolls of equal weight, and allow them to rise again.
- Weighing the Dinner Roll dough or Eyeballing: While I often trust my eyeballing skills, sometimes I measure the entire dough ball by grams for accuracy. Choose the method that works best for you based on the time you have available.
- Brushing the Dinner Rolls: Don’t overlook this crucial step. Brushing the rolls with milk or egg will give them a beautiful sheen that is simply irresistible.
- Keep an eye on the baking time: Check the rolls between 12-14 minutes. If they are getting too dark at 12 minutes, cover them with foil and bake for an additional 2 minutes. Always check the center rolls for doneness, as the outer rolls tend to cook faster.
- Position the baking tray on the lower rack: Placing the tray on the lower rack helps prevent the dinner rolls from burning and ensures even baking.
What do you need to make Ladi pav at home?
Apart from the 6 ingredients, you will also need
- Measuring Cup
- Baking sheet
- Stand mixer
- Instant pot (optional)
- Kitchen scale (optional)
- Plastic Wrap | Cling Film
- Greased bowl
These simple yet essential six ingredients will help you create irresistibly soft and fluffy dinner rolls.
- Plain Flour or All-Purpose Flour or Maida: This versatile flour forms the base of the dinner rolls, providing structure and a soft texture. It is easily found in most pantries and is perfect for baking bread.
- Warm Milk: Adds moisture to the dough, resulting in tender and soft dinner rolls. Simply warm the milk in the microwave until the desired temperature.
- Instant Yeast: Also known as fast-action dried yeast, is a convenient option for making dinner rolls. It eliminates the need to activate the yeast separately in water or milk. Simply mix it directly into the dry ingredients, saving time and ensuring a reliable rise. Remember to check the expiry date on the yeast packet to ensure its effectiveness.
- Salt: It enhances the flavour of the dinner rolls, balancing out the sweetness from the sugar. It also helps to control the fermentation process, preventing the dough from over-rising.
- Sugar: Adds a touch of sweetness to the dinner rolls, complementing the other flavours. Additionally, it acts as food for the yeast, aiding in fermentation and contributing to a light and airy texture.
- Softened Butter: Enriches the dough, providing richness and flavour. Using softened butter at room temperature allows it to blend seamlessly into the dough, resulting in a soft and tender crumb.
How to make Soft Dinner rolls?: Step by step guide
Mixing the Ingredients
- Sift the flour and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients.
Kneading the Dough
- Use a Kitchen Aid Stand mixer or knead the dough by hand. Add more milk if necessary as you need until a soft and smooth dough forms.
Proofing the Dough
Proofing the dough can be daunting owing to may conditions: humidity, too much chillness and what not. Instant Pot proofing works well during all seasons. If you do not have an Instant Pot, use the second method, which is universally known.
Proofing the Dough in an Instant Pot:
- Grease the inner pot of the Instant Pot with butter or oil.
- Place the dough in the greased pot, close the lid, and leave the knob in venting position.Alternatively use a glass lid.
- Select the Yogurt Setting and set an external timer for 40 minutes. I always use my Google Home for a 40 minutes reminder.
- When the timer beeps, cancel the yogurt setting and open the lid to check if the dough has risen.
- Punch down the dough to deflate it lightly.
Proofing the Dough in a Greased Bowl:
- Grease a large bowl and transfer the kneaded dough into it.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a damp towel.
- Allow the dough to rise in a warm place for 1-1.5 hours or until it doubles in size.
- Punch down the dough to deflate it lightly.
Dividing the Dough & Second Rise
- Pinch pieces of the dough and divide it into 12 equal-sized portions.
- Roll and shape each portion to form smooth tops.
- Transfer all the rolls to a greased baking sheet.
- Cover the rolls with a soft towel or plastic wrap and let them rise again for 30-45 minutes, depending on weather and altitude.
Brushing the Rolls
- Brush the rolls with milk or an egg wash to give them a shiny finish.
Baking the Dinner Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Position the baking tray on the lower shelf of the oven and bake the rolls for 12 to 15 minutes until they are cooked through and the tops are golden brown.
- If the rolls are browning too quickly, cover them with a sheet of foil and continue baking.
- Once baked, remove the rolls from the oven.
- Brush the hot rolls with melted butter for added flavor and softness.
- Serve the dinner rolls immediately or store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Enjoy these soft and delicious dinner rolls as a perfect accompaniment to your meals!
Storing eggless dinner rolls
To store leftover dinner rolls at room temperature, allow them to cool completely, then place them in an airtight container or bag for up to 3 days. Keep them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight or heat sources.
Can I freeze leftover dinner rolls?
For longer-term storage, you can freeze the dinner rolls. Wrap each roll individually in plastic wrap or place them in a freezer-safe bag, ensuring there is no air inside. Frozen dinner rolls can typically be stored for up to 2-3 months.
Thawing and Reheating: When you’re ready to enjoy the leftover dinner rolls, thaw them in the fridge overnight. To refresh their taste and texture, preheat the oven to a low temperature (around 150°C/300°F), place the rolls on a baking sheet, and warm them for a few minutes until heated through.
If you love this recipe, you will also love
Easy homemade Ladi Pav recipe below
How to make Dinner rolls at home? ( Eggless & Soft)Print Pin Rate
- 3 ½ Cup Flour
- 2⅓ tsp or 7g Yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 ½ Cup Warm Milk
KNEAD THE DOUGH
- Sift the flour and set it aside.3 ½ Cup Flour
- Add flour, salt, sugar, yeast, milk to the mixing bowl of the stand mixer.3 ½ Cup Flour, 2⅓ tsp or 7g Yeast, 1 tsp Salt, 2 Tbsp Sugar, 1 ½ Cup Warm Milk
- Attach the dough hook and turn the mixer on to medium speed and mix until flour is incorporated. Increase the speed and allow the the hook to knead for two more minutes.
- Add the softened butter to the dough and knead for another 2 minutes until well incorporated.3 Tbsp Butter
- If the dough is a little too sticky, add additional flour as necessary – may be 2 – 3 tbsp flour at a time. The dough should be soft and pull away from the edge of the mixing bowl.
- Alternatively to knead by hand, add all the ingredients in a bowl and knead until soft. This can take up to 20 minutes.
HOW TO PROOF THE DOUGH ?
- Grease a large bowl and transfer the kneaded dough to the bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or damp towel. Allow the it rise for 1 hour at room temperature or until it doubles the size.
- Remove the cling film/ plastic wrap. Deflate the dough by punching down lightly.
HOW TO PROOF DOUGH IN INSTANT POT?
- Grease the Inner Pot of the Instant Pot with butter/ oil.
- Place the dough in the greased pot. Close the lid and leave the knob in venting.
- Select the Yogurt Setting and set the external timer for 40 mins. I always use my Google Home for a 40 minutes reminder. When the timer beeps, cancel the yogurt setting. Open the lid to see the raised dinner roll dough.
- Deflate the dough by punching down lightly.
DIVIDE THE DOUGH & SECOND RISE
- Pinch pieces of the dough and Divide them into 12 equal sized portions. Roll and shape to smooth top for each of the portion.
- Transfer all the rolls to a greased baking sheet. Cover with soft towel or plastic and allow for a second rise. This can take anywhere from 30 minutes – 45 minutes depending upon the weather and altitude.
- Brush the rolls with milk or egg wash.
BAKE THE DINNER ROLLS
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Position the Tray into the lower shelf of the oven and bake the rolls for 12 to 15 minutes until cooked through or until the top is golden brown.
- If the rolls are getting a bit brown, cover them with a foil sheet and continue to cook.
- Remove the rolls from the oven and brush the hot rolls with melted butter. Serve them immediately or store up to 3 days in an airtight container.