Masala Pav is a popular street food from Mumbai, made with eggless dinner rolls topped with spicy bhaji masala.
MUMBAI STREET STYLE MASALA PAV
Talk of Mumbai street food, first dishes that resonates in our minds are Pav Bhaji and Vada Pav. But did you know Masala Pav is equally popular among the Mumbai locals.
WHAT IS MASALA PAV?
PAV= Eggless Dinner Rolls or Ladi Pav
MASALA = Left over Pav Bhaji or make fresh spicy masala from scratch, made with pav bhaji masala powder.
In short, masala pav is a quick and easy recipe, where the roasted pav buns are loaded with left over pav bhaji, garnished with onions, coriander leaves and served with lemon wedges.
I always plan and prepare extra portions of Pav Bhaji to make this Masala Pav and Pav Bhaji Pot Pie.
This Mumbai street style snack is delicious as an appetiser and it doubles up for a light dinner too.
QUICK TIPS & TRICKS TO MAKE THIS DELICIOUS MASALA PAV RECIPE
Use fresh ladi pav or dinner rolls for this recipe. When I shot the images for this recipe, I had pre cut dinner rolls at home. You can make them fresh at home with my recipe for this eggless ladi pav.
Use a generous serving of butter for roasting the pav buns, they do taste delicious. For a healthier alternative, simple pan toast it with little or no butter.
Left Over Pav Bhaji works really fabulous, as the flavors mature over a day.
YOU WILL ALSO LOVE THESE INDIAN STREET FOOD INSPIRATIONS
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE ?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
MASALA PAV RECIPE
Masala Pav Recipe | Mumbai street style Masala PavPrint Pin Rate
- 2 Portions of Pav Bhaji
- 4 Ladi Pav| Dinner Rolls
- Salted Butter
- Finely Chopped Onion
- 1 Tsp Pav Bhaji Masala powder **
- coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Lemon Wedges
- Heat a hot griddle pan with salted butter and toast the pav buns (dinner rolls). Sprinkle pav bhaji masala powder generously on either sides.
- Heat the Pav Bhaji thoroughly.
- Place the hot Pav Bhaji on the base of the Pav, 1/2 tsp finely chopped onions and cover with the top layer of the pav. Sprinkle pav bhaji masala powder on the top of the pav bun, onion and coriander leaves.
- Repeat the process for the remaining dinner rolls and serve hot Masala Pav with lemon wedges.