Easy Vegan Thai Green Curry . This Green Thai Curry is a great dish to rustle out on weeknights – so much better than a takeout! All it takes is One Pot & in 30 minutes.
Make it from a store bought curry paste or with homemade paste, either-ways your green curry is going to be fabulous with steamed rice.
THAI GREEN CURRY RECIPE
There are a lot of delicious flavours going on, when you dig in a bowl of authentic green thai curry served with steamed rice. Ideally this green curry vegetarian is served with jasmine rice. But it doesn’t matter really if you enjoy with some basmati rice and naan bread too!
My better half and me find Thai cuisine as comforting as our traditional Palakkad Cuisine. Two years ago, I had the chance to dig into some spicy authentic thai curry from a cookery school. The chefs were kind enough to share some of their secrets in making the perfect thai curry.
Since then I know ,
This Thai Green Curry (Vegetarian/ Vegan)
is creamy and loaded with flavors
is actually spicy
has full fat coconut milk
has thai basil and not italian basil
is VEGAN & GLUTEN FREE
can have vegetables of your choice. See below for a detailed choice.
Ingredients for Thai green curry VEGETARIAN
Thai Green Curry Paste – Either homemade paste or green curry paste out of the jar. They both make tasty green curry. You just need to spruce up a bit accordingly.
Coconut milk – Highly recommend using full fat coconut milk to thai curries. Skimmed version or light coconut milk seems quite thin and watery and lack flavour too.
Vegetable Stock – Adds great flavours to the curry, however you may also use water if stock is not available.
Vegetables like Sweet Potato or Butternut Squash adds some body to the curry.
Baby Corn & Mangeout – lends a crunch
Red Pepper – adds colour to the curry.
Soy Sauce – this is optional. Add it if you like an extra edge of saltiness and rich flavor.
Kaffir Lime leaves adds a citrus fragrance to the curry
Coriander leaves & thai basil are absolutely essential to bring out the best of the thai curry.
Lime juice to finish off ! Curry comes alive with a squeeze of lime juice.
how to make vegan thai green curry?
Making this Easy Thai Green Curry is just a breeze and 30 minutes is all you need at hand. Apart from the Thai green curry paste from the jar or homemade, all you need is a choice of vegetables, some herbs & coconut milk.
If you are making Thai curry using the green curry paste from the jar, just a little pimp up is needed. One other essential step is to fry the thai curry paste well, before adding rest of the ingredients.
I have a pending Homemade vegan thai green curry paste recipe for you and shall share it pretty soon. It is also easy to make in advance and store up to 3 weeks in refrigerator.
To make Thai green curry, I started off with some oil, ginger garlic paste and shallots and allowed it to sweat out. One important tip to speed up the process is adding a pinch of salt.
Tip in Green Curry Paste and a heat element. I like adding some deseeded red chillies to mine. Fry for a couple of minutes until the curry paste dries out most of the water content.
The only way I could sneak in sweet potatoes into my families diet is this forgivingly tasty curry. I tend to pick a random choice of vegetables that are available. I went for sweet potato, red pepper, baby corn and mangeout. But you can use your own vegetable choices.
The key here is to add the vegetables that take longer time to cook first and add the quicker cooking ones later. Also remember to add the ones that lends a crunch to the curry towards the end of the cooking process.
Add the Sweet Potatoes, red pepper , coconut milk and vegetable stock and cook for a few minutes until the potatoes are tender.
It is time to add the remaining vegetables and cook for minimum time.
Taste and add salt, soy sauce, sugar (if you like extra sweetness). Finish this Vegan and gluten free thai curry with thai basil, coriander leaves and lime juice.
THAI GREEN CURRY TIPS & FAQ
What goes in thai green curry vegetables
You can use any combination of vegetables you like. I have roughly used about 3 Cups+ of vegetables. You may as well add zucchini, small aubergine, broccoli tender stem, snow-peas, beansprouts, carrots and even spinach/ kale too. As this curry is soul satisfying, add the vegetables you have them readily stocked in your fridge.
Every vegetable that goes into this curry has a different texture and flavours are just awesome together.
Is Thai green curry vegan?
Definitely! I do use a Thai Curry Paste from Tesco ( labelled as Vegan ) & Thai Taste Green Curry Paste available in all grocery stores.. This post is not sponsored, but I love to mention about the products i enjoy. As well, this vegan thai green curry paste uk does not use any fish sauce in the recipe.
How long does Thai Green Curry paste last in fridge?
Thai curry, cooked well lasts for up to a week in the fridge. I prefer to store them in portions if I know we are going to takeout a couple of times a week.
What do you serve with Thai Curry?
I enjoy Thai green curry with steamed Jasmine Rice. But we do serve them with Basmati rice, Brown Rice or even Naan bread too.
HAVE YOU MADE MY VEGETARIAN THAI GREEN CURRY ?
YOU WILL ALSO LOVE THESE RECIPES
VEGAN THAI GREEN CURRY RECIPE BELOW
Ingredients for Vegan Thai Green Curry
- 1 Tbsp Sunflower Oil or Coconut Oil
- 2 Small Shallots or 1/2 white onion diced fine
- 1 Tbsp garlic paste
- 2 Tsp ginger paste
- 1 red chilli finely chopped ( optional )
- 4 Tbsp Thai Green Curry Paste
- 300 g Sweet Potato peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 large red pepper cut into thick slices
- 100 g baby corn cut length wise
- 100 g mangeout
- 400 ml full fat coconut milk
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar optional
- 1 Tsp Light Soy Sauce optional
- salt to taste
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 50 g coriander leaves
- thai basil
- lime juice
- Heat oil in heavy skillet or a casserole dish with a fitted lid. Add ginger, garlic and shallots and begin to sweat. Cook for 4 minutes until translucent.
- Add the red chilli & Thai Green Curry Paste and fry them off for at least 2-3 minutes, until most of the paste dries out.
- Add Sweet Potatoes, Red Pepper,Coconut milk and vegetable stock and stir through. Tip in Kaffir lime leaves, cover with a lid and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender with a fork. Cook 8 minutes.
- Stir in the baby corn, mangeout to the curry and continue to cook for another 5 minutes covered.
- Taste and season with salt , soya sauce ( if needed ) and brown sugar ( optional ).
- Thai Curry Sauce should have reduced and will still be a be on the thin side. Scatter coriander leaves, thai basil, lime juice and stir.
- Remove from heat and serve thai green curry vegan with steamed rice.
INSTANT POT VEGAN THAI GREEN CURRY
- Press Sauté on your Instant Pot. Once it displays, add oil and onions, ginger & garlic. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add Green Curry Paste, 1 tbsp coconut milk and stir well until well combined. Fry the curry paste well until the aroma is released.
- Add the remaining coconut milk, stock, soy sauce, salt and stir.
- Press CANCEL. Secure the lid, seal the valve and pressure cook HIGH for 1 minute. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Open the Instant Pot, PRESS SAUTE. Add all the vegetables, Kaffir Lime and cover with the Instant Pot glass lid. Cover and cook for 6- 7 minutes until vegetables are tender.
PRESS CANCEL. Squeeze in lime juice, cilantro leaves.
- Taste and season more with soy sauce, rice vinegar and salt, if you need more punch.
- Divide the cooked rice and curry into bowls and garnish with basil, red chilli and coriander leaves.