Love sautéed peppers and onions? If so, you’re sure to love these air fryer peppers and onions. They’re quick to prepare, taking under 15 minutes, and make a delightful addition to any meal.
About this easy Air fryer sautéed peppers and onions
Ever since I started using the air fryer, I’ve been on the lookout for shortcuts methods for dinner recipes. And making sautéed peppers and onions in the air fryer is now a breeze with this easy recipe! This dish is a game-changer for anyone who wants a quick and effortless cooking method.
Plus, with the air fryer, you can achieve perfectly cooked peppers and onions in a fraction of the time it would take on the stove. The recipe is simple and straightforward.
Toss the bell peppers and onions in oil and your favourite seasonings. Then, simply air fry until they’re tender and slightly crunchy. The result is a colourful and flavourful side dish that pairs well with any meal – like tacos, buddha bowl, burritos, quesadilla, pasta and more.
But what if you don’t have an air fryer? Not to worry – you can still enjoy this onion and peppers medley by simply sautéing your peppers and onions on the stove.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Quick and easy – This recipe takes only a few minutes to prep. It takes less than 10 minutes to cook in the air fryer. That makes it perfect for busy weeknights.
Healthy – Cooking in the air fryer requires little to no oil. This makes the dish healthier than traditional sautéed peppers and onions.
Easy to customise – This recipe is very versatile and can be easily customised to your taste preferences. You can add any seasoning or herbs of your choice to create different flavours and adjust the level of spiciness according to your liking.
Dietary needs – This recipe is suitable for various dietary needs, including vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and Mediterranean diet.
Perfect for meal prep – This dish is perfect for meal prep. It can be easily stored in the fridge for a few days and reheated when needed. Enjoy it as a side dish or toss it together with your favourite noodles, fried rice, pasta, casserole dishes.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Bell Peppers: Choose colourful bell peppers for a vibrant and crunchy addition to your dish. However, I don’t recommend using green peppers as they may have a slightly bitter taste compared to the ripe, colourful ones.
Onions: Use red onion to add flavour to your dish. If you don’t have red onions on hand, you can substitute them with white onions, shallots or leeks.
Oil: Opt for olive oil or any cooking oil of your choice to sauté the onions and peppers. Sunflower oil, Vegetable oil or Avocado oil are also suitable alternatives.
Taco seasoning: Add a delightful blend of spices to your dish with taco seasoning. If you don’t have it, create your own by combining chilli powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Salt & Pepper: Enhance the flavours of your onions and peppers with salt and pepper. Adjust the amount according to your taste preferences. Feel free to experiment with other seasonings like garlic powder, smoked paprika, or red pepper flakes to add more depth to the dish.
How to make Air fryer Onions and Peppers? Step-by-Step Guide:
- To make air fryer onions and peppers, begin by thinly slicing onion and bell peppers into half-moon shapes.
- Toss the sliced vegetables with oil and desired seasoning.
- Place the mixture into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Air fry at 400°F (200°C) for 6-8 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve as a side dish or topping.
- Seasoning: Explore different flavours by using alternate seasonings such as cajun seasoning, curry powder, or BBQ seasoning to add a unique twist to the sautéed peppers and onions.
- Vegetable Combinations: Mix things up by combining the peppers and onions with other vegetables like mushrooms or courgettes (zucchini) for a tasty variation. This will add more variety and textures to your dish.
- Additional Ingredients: To enhance the dish further, consider adding other ingredients like sliced garlic, cherry tomatoes, or even cooked protein such as sliced sausage or tofu. These additions can elevate the flavours and provide a more filling meal.
- Slice the onion and peppers evenly to ensure even roasting in the air fryer.
- If you prefer your onion less caramelized, add it to the air fryer at a later stage of cooking.
- While experimenting, I found that a slightly lower temperature works better for air frying (around 175°C). Higher temperatures may result in overly roasted or burnt vegetables.
- Save time by slicing the vegetables in advance and air fry them just before serving for a quick and convenient side dish.
Storing leftover air fryer peppers and onions
Store leftover air fryer peppers and onions in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When ready to reheat, simply place them back in the air fryer for a brief period until hot, then serve immediately.
Air fryer Sautéed peppers and onions are a great addition to any meal. They can be used in a variety of ways to add flavour and nutrition to your dishes.
- Serve alongside grilled vegetables or meat for a delicious and healthy meal.
- Use as a topping for tacos, fajitas, or quesadillas along with air fryer halloumi fries and yogurt garlic sauce.
- Mix with fried rice, chow mein noodles, pasta or quinoa for a tasty and nutritious vegetarian bowl.
- Add to sandwiches or wraps for an extra burst of flavour.
- Use as a pizza topping.
More Air fryer Vegetarian side dish recipes
Easy sautéed peppers and onions made in air fryer recipe below
- 3 medium bell peppers ( red, orange and yellow), sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- Start by thinly slicing the bell peppers and onions into half-moon shapes for even cooking.3 medium bell peppers, 1 red onion
- In a bowl, combine the sliced bell peppers and onions, then drizzle them with oil and sprinkle the seasoning.3 medium bell peppers, 1 tsp taco seasoning, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper, 1 tbsp oil, 1 red onion
- Preheat your air fryer to 175°C (350°F) for 2-3 minutes to ensure it's hot and ready for cooking.
- Transfer the seasoned vegetables to the air fryer basket. Air fry peppers and onions for 6-8 minutes until tender and crunchy.3 medium bell peppers, 1 red onion, 1 tsp taco seasoning, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper, 1 tbsp oil
- Transfer to serving dish and enjoy.