Try something new with Halloumi cheese – our easy Air fryer Halloumi fries recipe, ready in under 15 minutes. Made with Halloumi, seasoned flour blend and very little oil, these fries are delicious. With a crispy outer layer and salty, cheesy inside, these are perfect for snacking with your favourite dip.
About these Air-Fried Halloumi Fries Recipe
We love Nandos restaurant’s Halloumi sticks served sticky sweet chilli jam! But on days when I want something healthy, equally delicious and in the comfort of my home, I opt for these Air fryer halloumi fries. Just like many of my recipes, this Halloumi fries recipe keeps things simple and straightforward.There are no extravagant frills involved.
All you have to do is gently pat dry any excess moisture from the sliced halloumi. Then, toss them in a mixture of flour and seasoning before neatly arranging them in the air fryer basket. Give them a few squirts of low-calorie spray, and air fry for approximately 7 minutes or even less. They will turn a beautiful golden hue and achieve that perfect crispiness.
Now, here’s the fun part—serve these air fryer halloumi fries with a dip of your choice. Personally, I love to dip mine into a tangy relish. But sometimes I switch things up with a dill yogurt sauce, sour cream and chive dip or my homemade Indian mint sauce
Why you’ll love this recipe?
- Healthy: These Halloumi sticks are air-fried, significantly reducing the oil content, making them a lighter and healthier option. Plus, they’re loaded with protein.
- Speedy and effortless appetizer: Whip up this dish in under 15 minutes, perfect for those last-minute cravings.
- Versatile: These Halloumi sticks can play multiple roles – they’re excellent as an appetizer, a side dish, or a tasty filler for pita bread, sandwiches, or burgers.
- Dietary-friendly: Ideal for vegetarians, catering to various dietary preferences
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Halloumi cheese: This salty and savoury cheese is the star of the show. I have used full fat halloumi but you can opt for a lighter one too. Easily available in the dairy section of your localy superstores.
- Plain flour : Creates a crisp and golden coating on the fries, adding a delightful crunch to each bite.
- Seasoning: I’ve opted for a flavourful combination of garlic powder, Italian herbs, salt, and pepper. Since halloumi cheese is naturally salty, you can decide whether or not to include additional salt.
- Oil: For a healthier approach, I’ve chosen sunflower oil in the form of a low-calorie spray. However, you can choose to use olive oil or sunflower oil to brush on.
How to make Air fryer Halloumi fries?: Step by Step
To make halloumi fries in air fryer, start with slicing the Halloumi cheese into 6- 8 sticks. Pat with kitchen towel to absorb the extra moisture.
Combine the flour and seasoning in a bowl.
Preheat the air fryer at 180C for 2 minutes.
Coat the Halloumi sticks with seasoned flour and arrange into the air fryer basket in a single layer.
Air fry for 7 – 8 minutes in total, flipping once in between.Serve.
Tips for Perfect Air fryer Halloumi fries(sticks)
- Avoid overcooking the seasoned halloumi sticks in the air fryer, as excessive cooking can make them turn chewy.
- Enjoy these fries while they’re still warm, right after preparation, to savour their best flavor and texture.
- Arrange the sliced halloumi in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Do not overlap to ensure even cooking.
- Keep in mind that air-fried Halloumi sticks may have a slightly drier texture compared to deep-fried ones due to the absence of eggs or excessive oil in the recipe. To balance the texture and moisture, always serve them alongside a dip or a refreshing salad.
- Pair your Halloumi fries with an array of delectable dips: Sweet Chilli Mayo, Sour Cream and Chives dip, Kebab Shop Garlic Yogurt sauce, or a Vegan Burger sauce.
- Create a delightful pita pocket. Stuff the air-fried Halloumi sticks with lettuce, Shirazi salad, jalapenos, and garlic yogurt sauce.
- Kickstart your day with a satisfying breakfast spread. It includes air-fried Halloumi sticks, hard-boiled eggs, air fried sausages, sautéed mushrooms, and breakfast potatoes for a hearty and delicious morning meal.
More easy Vegetarian Air fryer side dish recipes
Quick and Easy Air fryer Halloumi sticks recipe below
- 1 pack 225g Halloumi cheese sliced
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp italian herbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Pat with kitchen towel to absorb the extra moisture.
- Combine the flour and seasoning in a bowl.
- Preheat the air fryer at 180C for 2 minutes.
- Coat the Halloumi sticks with seasoned flour and arrange into the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Air fry for 7 – 8 minutes in total, flipping once in between.Serve.