it is as simple and easy to make air fryer roasted cauliflower recipe. Roasting cauliflower in the air fryer brings out a perfect crispiness on the outside while keeping the inside tender and delicious. Perfect addition to any meal.
About my crispy Air fryer cauliflower recipe – so Fast!
One of the best things about making roasted cauliflower in the air fryer is that it’s super quick and easy – only about 5 minutes of hands-on time to cut and core the cauliflower, aside from air frying.
All you need is a head of cauliflower, a little oil, and your favourite seasonings. Toss them together, and then cook it in the air fryer. In just a few minutes, you’ll have perfectly roasted cauliflower that’s crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
What I really love is that whether you’re roasting the cauliflower for a side dish, adding it to a Buddha bowl, or stuffing it into your wrap – it’s always a hit. Plus, these roasted cauliflower bites are suitable for most diets, including vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, and more.
Ingredients for air fryer cauliflower recipe
To make air fryer roasted cauliflower, you will need the following ingredients:
- Cauliflower: You will need a small or medium cauliflower, cut into florets. For convenience buy the packet of cauliflower florets from super market.
- Oil: Any neutral-flavoured oil will work for this recipe. You can use avocado oil, sunflower oil or olive oil.
- Salt and pepper: Use these two ingredients as per your taste preference.
- Spices: I recommend using a blend of turmeric, chilli powder, and garlic powder for this recipe. These spices add a delicious flavour and aroma to the cauliflower,
- Optional Ingredients: To add some extra flavour and freshness to the dish, you can add a splash of lemon juice and some fresh herbs, such as fresh coriander.
Cut and Core the cauliflower before air frying
When I am preparing cauliflower for aloo gobi tray bake or this roast cauliflower, the first step is to cut and core it. To do this,
- First remove the outer leaves of the cauliflower and discard them.
- Then, turn the cauliflower upside down and cut off the stem at the base.
- Next, cut the cauliflower into quarters by slicing it down the centre, then into halves to create quarters.
- Now use the knife and remove the core from each quarter by making a V-shaped cut around it and pulling it out.
- Finally, use a knife to cut the cauliflower into small, evenly-sized florets.
- Aim for uniformity in size for even cooking.
Cutting and coring a cauliflower may seem daunting at first, but with a little practice, it becomes a quick and easy process.
Cauliflower seasoning mix
In my easy recipe for air-frying cauliflower, I like to use a combination of a popular Indian spice blend.
I use ground turmeric, chili powder (use Kashmiri chili powder for less spiciness), garam masala (optional), garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
How to make the best Air fryer cauliflower? : Step by Step
You will need only 7 Ingredients and an Air fryer to make roast cauliflower in the air fryer. For this I have used Instant pot Vortex 6 in 1 which has 5.7l capacity. I could make the whole batch in one go. If you have a smaller air fryer, make it in two batches.
To make crispy air fryer cauliflower bites, first Preheat the air fryer to 190 C/ 380 F for 2 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, place the cauliflower florets, spices, oil, salt and pepper. Toss them together until cauliflower are evenly coated.
Transfer the Indian spiced cauliflower to the air fryer basket and air fry for 10-14 minutes. Shake the basket every 5 minutes to ensure even cooking.
When the cauliflower is tender and caramelised, remove it from the air fryer basket and serve hot.
Just before serving, I like to sometime add lemon juice and coriander leaves to bring out the fresh flavours of the air fried cauliflower. It is completely optional and can be adjusted to your taste.
Make your crispy cauliflower even more exciting by trying out some variations.
- Add any of your favourite spice blends to the cauliflower- like fajita seasoning, taco seasoning, garam masala or curry powder to vary the flavour profile of the roast cauliflower.
- Add other herbs such as coriander, thyme, oregano, or parsley.
- Experiment adding potatoes together like in our Aloo Gobi tray bake.
- Add along other veggies as in our Air fryer roasted vegetables.
- Vary by adding other optional ingredients, such as grated Parmesan cheese or a sprinkle of paprika.
What to serve with crispy cauliflower made in air fryer?
Air-fried cauliflower is delicious as a side dish, snack, in meal prep, or in curries. Here’s how I like to serve it.
- As a side dish that pairs well with your flatbreads like Chapati, Naan bread, or a simple yogurt flatbread.
- Meal Prep – Roast cauliflower is a delicious and versatile ingredient that can be used as a meal prep for dishes like cauliflower tikka masala. You can use it in place of Quorn pieces in Vegetarian Rogan Josh or in place of paneer in Paneer curry.
- Sandwiches/ Wraps – Try tucking the air fryer cauliflower with hummus, lettuce, and sauces for a tasty lunch option.
- Snack -Serve with refreshing dips, such as refreshing dill yogurt sauce, cucumber raita, sour cream chive dip, cheese chive dip or tzatziki, for a little extra flavour.
Why is my roasted cauliflower tough?
- Cauliflower was not dry enough before roasting: It can release moisture as it cooks, which can cause the florets to steam instead of roast. Steaming can result in a softer texture rather than crispy, and in some cases, tough cauliflower. To avoid this, it is important to pat the cauliflower dry with a kitchen towel or paper towel before seasoning and roasting.
- Roasting at a very low temperature in the air fryer for a long time can result in tough cauliflower: Make sure to set it at the correct temperature and cook it for the recommended time to get crispy and tender cauliflower.
- Cauliflower is undercooked: If the cauliflower is undercooked, it can be tough and chewy. To ensure the cauliflower is cooked through, check it regularly with a fork or knife while it is roasting. It should be tender and easy to pierce when it’s done.
- Not cut evenly: Can result in some cauliflower florets being overcooked while others are undercooked. This can make the cauliflower tough and uneven in texture. To avoid this, try to cut the cauliflower into similarly sized florets, so they cook evenly. You can also adjust the cooking time for larger or smaller florets accordingly.
How to cut a Cauliflower?
- Rinse the cauliflower under cold water and pat it dry with a towel.
- Cut off the stem of the cauliflower, making sure to remove any tough or fibrous bits.
- Cut the cauliflower into quarters. And then use a knife to cut the florets into smaller pieces. Alternatively, you can also break the florets by hand.
- In the process, cut out the core from each quarter by cutting it into the base of the florets. Discard the core.
Can I use frozen cauliflower florets for air frying?
Yes, you can use frozen cauliflower florets for air frying. However, it’s important to thaw the cauliflower first to ensure that it cooks evenly. Keep in mind that frozen vegetables will have more moisture than fresh ones and hence the level of crispiness may vary.
Are the cauliflower leaves and stem edible?
Yes, You can eat the leaves and stems of the cauliflower. Eating all the parts of the cauliflower is a fantastic way to reduce food waste. The cauliflower leaves are a bit bitter, like kale or collard greens, and you can use them in stir-fries or soups. I’ve tried air fryer cauliflower leaves – they turn out crispy and are delicious with turmeric hummus.
The stems can be chopped and used for a bit of crunch, similar to how you might use broccoli stems.
More Air fryer Cauliflower recipes
Find below some of my favourite cauliflower recipes in the air fryer. They are simple and easy to make.
Quick and Easy crispy air fryer cauliflower recipe below
- Air fryer
- 450 g cauliflower florets or 1 medium cauliflower
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 – 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt or as needed
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 190°C/380°F for 2 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, place the cauliflower florets, spices, oil, salt, and pepper.
- Toss them together until the cauliflower is evenly coated.
- Transfer the spiced-coated cauliflower to the air fryer basket and air fry for 10-14 minutes. Shake the basket every 5 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- When the cauliflower is tender and caramelised, remove it from the air fryer and serve it hot.