Air fryer Shishito Peppers is probably one of the easiest appetizers I know! It’s simple, FAST, big on flavors, and ready in just 10 minutes. Enjoy the delicious roasted shishito peppers as a game-day snack or as a bbq side.
About this 10 minutes Air fryer Shishito peppers recipe
We have been to Spain twice and one of the highlights was indulging in an excellent tapas selection at Barcelona. We enjoyed the Fried Artichoke, Tortilla Patatas, Spanish Omlette, and Spanish pimientos de Padrón and we could not stop raving about it.
Padron variety of peppers was new to us then and we brought back some with us to the UK. We have made the peppers on the hot cast iron pan a few times and loved them with aioli or a soy ginger dip. Lateron we found these are available in Sainsbury’s and Waitrose too :))
We indulged in these Shishito peppers at a friends place a few years back. They were soo soo good and I just could not resist making them every now and then.
I toss the peppers in any neutral flavor oil and air fry the shishito or Padron peppers for just 6-7 minutes. And serve these delicious salty citrussy peppers as an appetizer on occasions like Father’s Day, or over the weekend, or when you have guests over.
These are always a hit!! And the best part about this recipe is that they are ready in just under 10 minutes. Plus the Shishito peppers are easily available locally in Costco or on Amazon UK.
About Shishito Peppers
The Shishito peppers are small mild green peppers, long in shape, and look like wrinkled jalapenos. They have thinner skin than other kinds of peppers and hence they are great for roasting. The name Shishito comes from the Japanese word Shishi, meaning Lion, and Togarashi meaning Lion Head Pepper.
They are slightly different from Padron variety of peppers in shape and origin. Pimientos de Padrón are small, bright green peppers that come from the Padrón in Galicia, in the northwest part of Spain. There is a saying – Some are hot and Some are not!
When these peppers are cooking, the house smells like cooking Jalapenós!
Why make this recipe?
- Air fryer roasted pepper requires only a fraction of oil than the pan charred shishito peppers or padron peppers.
- Quick, easy and does not have any prep work ( other than washing & drying the shishitos)
- Healthy Appetiser
- Its delicious in a mix and match Mediterranean Tapas
- 1 serving has 1 ww freestyle smart points
- Dietary Needs – Whole 30 compliant, Paleo-friendly, Keto-friendly, Dairy Free, Soy Free, and suitable for Vegans & Vegetarians.
Pro Tips to make this Air fryer roasted Shishito Peppers or Air fryer Padron Peppers?
- Preheat the air fryer for this recipe. Air fry at a higher temperature to make sure the peppers are not soggy. The key thing to remember is to cook fast and hot!
- Sea Salt and Citrus are so good. Sprinkle sea salt and a fresh squeeze of lemon juice or lime juice almost immediately after you transfer the peppers to a serving dish. The flavors are elevated by multifold. Season quickly, so that they stick better to the peppers.
- Side Dip is delicious – I love to serve my shishito peppers straight out of the air fryer seasoned with salt and lemon juice. They are so good with Vegan Garlic Aioli. ( I use Leon brand garlic aioli )
Where to buy Shishito Peppers in the UK?
Shishito Peppers are available in Costco UK warehouse, local farm stores, or Amazon UK. Look for them in the fresh produce section in your local grocery store. You will also find Padron Peppers (a close cousin of Shishito ) at Sainsbury’s and Waitrose.
Are Shishito Peppers spicy?
It’s said 1 in 10 peppers are spicy and the rest are mild. I have not experienced the spicy chilli pepper so far, but my husband has. It is like a pepper roulette every time, you try them. Serve with a creamy dip to balance off any heat, if any. Some are hot and some are not!!
Can you eat Raw Shishito Peppers?
Shishito Peppers can be eaten raw. Raw peppers have a sweet flavor with a crispy texture like green bell peppers.
Serve Air fried Shishito Peppers with Vegan Garlic Aioli, creamy vegan chipotle dip, coconut aminos or soy ginger dressing.
Shishito Peppers or Padron Peppers – are easily available in the supermarket or in Costco
Avocado Oil or Olive Oil or Any neutral flavor oil works well in the recipe
Sea Salt is the key. Be generous with your seasoning!! It is extremely important for flavoring
Lemon Juice or Lime Juice works really well.
How to make Air fryer Shishito Peppers step by step
Preheat the Air fryer at 400F for 3 minutes. I use Instant Pot vortex air fryer. After the preheating is done, it prompts me to add the food. When I use a Philips Viva, I time a 3 minutes preheating cycle.
While the airfryer is preheating, Wash the shishito peppers and towel dry them. Make sure they are free of any moisture.
Next toss the peppers in 1/2 a tsp of oil or use a cooking spray.
When prompted, add the oil coated to peppers and Air fry for 6-7 minutes. Every now and then check the air fryer and shake the basket so that Air fried peppers are roasted evenly.
Don’t be surprised by the popping sound, the peppers tend to pop a bit as they char and roast.
The roasting of the peppers smell like roasted jalapenos.
As soon as the air frying is done, transfer the shishitos to the serving bowl. Season generously with sea salt and drizzle lemon juice.
Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice.
How to make Air fryer Padrón Peppers?
Use the same ingredients, method, and time as above to make Air fryer Padrón peppers.
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE, YOU WILL ALSO LOVE THESE EASY VEGAN AIR FRYER RECIPES
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
- 15-16 Shishito Peppers
- 1/2 Tsp Avocado Oil or Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Lemon Juice
- Serve with Garlic Aioli
- Preheat the Air fryer at 400F for 3 minutes.
- While the air fryer is preheating, Wash the shishito peppers and towel dry them. Make sure they are free of any moisture.
- Next toss the peppers in 1/2 a tsp of oil or use a cooking spray.
- When prompted, add the oil-coated peppers and Air fry for 6-7 minutes. Every now and then check the air fryer and shake the basket so that Air fried peppers are roasted evenly.
- Don’t be surprised by the popping sound, the peppers tend to pop a bit as they char and roast.
- The roasting of the peppers smell like roasted jalapenos.
- As soon as the air frying is done, transfer the shishitos to the serving bowl. Season generously with sea salt and drizzle lemon juice.
- Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice.