We love an easy Paneer Curry, don’t we?? This lip smacking Matar Paneer just ticks the box for a quick homestyle Paneer recipe.
Paneer curries are often special for vegetarians and when you stir them up in 30 minutes, it’s a win win situation for everyone. Serve this easy Mutter Paneer with homemade naan or roti along with cucumber raita.
EASY MATAR PANEER RECIPE
There is a massive difference between homestyle curry, dhaba style and restaurant style curries. On a day to day basis, we enjoy our curries that are light on tummy and hence we prefer cooking Homestyle dishes.
This recipe for easy Paneer Matar is one of my favourite to-go homestyle curry. I have been making this Paneer dish, in this style, for many years and family just loves it. Every household have their own way of making their special Mattar Paneer. This homestyle Matar Paneer is our regular way of making and my family calls it the best curry. If its not paneer, you can even add Potatoes to this curry and call it Aloo Matar.
I know a lot of you are always on look out for an easy peesy Vegan Curry . Substitute Paneer with Tofu and you have a Vegan Curry right up here. And yeah did I tell you, this curry is naturally gluten free 🙂
INGREDIENTS FOR MATAR PANEER RECIPE
Most ingredients used for making this homestyle mattar paneer are commonly available.
Lets start with Matar and Paneer the star ingredients,
Matar is also called as Green Peas in English.
Paneer is fresh cheese made by curdling milk. It is available to buy locally in superstores or can be made at home too. Just to make my life easier, I prefer to buy Paneer and stock them in my refrigerator for my weekly curries. If you would like to make this curry Vegan, replace Paneer with Tofu.
Gravy Base for this Matar Paneer curry is Onion and Tomato along with ginger, garlic and cashew nuts. Cashew nuts render the slight creamy texture to the curry.
Other essential spices/ spice blend that I love to use for making this Mutter Paneer curry are Cumin Seeds,Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Cardamom Powder, Garam masala,chilli powder and Kasuri Methi.
Kasuri Methi – are dried fenugreek leaves. Dry Roast the Kasoori methi in a pan, crush them between your palm and add them to the curry. Do not add Methi Powder to replace this ingredient. I love to add Kasuri methi to paneer curries, as they render beautiful earthen aroma and flavours.
PANEER – What and what not?
What is Paneer? Paneer is fresh cheese made by curdling milk. There are recipes available on the web to make them. I do prefer to buy Paneer ( as its easier ) and stock them in my refrigerator.
What can I replace Paneer with? TOFU or even POTATOES
A lot of people ask me if I have got any tips for handling Paneer? Well, I do – My simplest tip to follow is to soak the cubed paneer in hot water and allow them to stay in there for at-least 10 minutes, or until you add it to the curry. This step ensures the Paneer stays soft in the curry.
Can I fry Paneer until golden while adding to this curry. You may as well do it. But I prefer not to fry paneer for this recipe. Remember to soak the fried paneer in Hot water too.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS FOR MATAR PANEER
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, you might also like:
Paneer Bhurji– Scrambled Paneer
MATAR PANEER RECIPE BELOW
Ingredients for the Base Gravy
- 125 g Chopped onions / 1 Large Onion
- 400 g Tomato Puree
- 1 "ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 15 Cashew nuts
Other Ingredients for Matar Paneer
- 1 Tsp Sunflower Oil
- 1 Tbsp + 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Kasuri methi
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 250 g Paneer cubed
- 11/2 Cup Green Peas
- 1 Cup Water Add more as needed
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- In a blender jar, add onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies, cashew nuts and cumin seeds. Blend to a smooth paste. Set the onion paste aside.
- Blend 400g of canned tomatoes into a puree or alternatively grind 3 large vine tomatoes to a puree and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion paste. Saute for a few minutes until they begin to brown. Add a pinch of salt and turmeric and saute until water is nearly evaporated.
- Add the tomato puree. Saute on high for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the spice powders - chilli powder, cardamom powder,coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala and mix well. Saute until the oil begins to separate and mixture begin to leave the size of the pan.
- Add Green peas and saute well.
- Add 1 Cup of water and allow this mixture to cook for another 3 minutes.
- At this stage, add paneer cubes, kasuri methi, salt, pepper, sugar, lemon juice and saute for 2 minutes. Check for taste and add more seasoning/ spices as needed. Check for consistency and accordingly add more warm water as desired.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve homestyle Matar Paneer with Roti's and Raita.