Looking for a quick and easy recipe for Paneer Bhurji? This delicious Indian side dish made with scrambled paneer and spices is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Learn how to make it in just a few simple steps with my 20 minutes Paneer Bhurji recipe.
What is Paneer Bhurji?
Paneer Bhurji is a popular North Indian dish made with crumbled or scrambled paneer, which is a type of Indian cottage cheese. It’s a quick and easy dish that can be enjoyed as a main course or as a side dish with Indian breads like roti or pav (homemade dinner rolls).
About this homemade bhurji recipe
When it comes to quick and easy meals, one of my go-to recipes is always Paneer Bhurji.
It’s is so simple to make and it only takes me about 20 minutes. I make it by cooking the crumbled paneer with spices and other fresh salad ingredients such as onions, tomatoes, and green peppers. Together, they create a savory, creamy and rich dish that is super tasty.
This protein packed dish is perfect for breakfast with ladi pav (homemade dinner rolls) or toasted bread. Pair with Indian flatbreads like roti or paratha for lunch or dinner . It’s a versatile recipe that can be enjoyed in many ways.
With my simple Paneer Bhurji recipe, you’ll be able to create a delicious and satisfying meal in no time.
Want to make a vegan version, use Tofu to make Tofu Bhurji.
My simple Paneer Bhurji recipe
First step is to coarsely crumble the paneer with hand. Not to fine crumble or grate it. Chop the salad vegetables – onion, tomato and green pepper.
Heat oil or ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds and allow it sizzle.
Add the onion, ginger, green chillies and garlic(if using any). Saute for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
Next add the tomatoes, spice powders and cook until they turn mushy.
Add the diced green bell pepper and saute for another 2 minutes. If the base masala is a bit too thick, add a splash of water.
Finally add the crumbled paneer, stir into the masala and sauté for a minute or two. Keep in mind not to cook the paneer for too long as it can get rubbery.
Add a squeeze of lemon juice and garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve.
Tips to make the Best Paneer Bhurji
- Do not cook the paneer too long and always add it towards the end of the cooking stages.
- Adjust the spiciness of the dish by adding more or less green chillies.
- You can also add other vegetables like green peas or grated carrots to make it more nutritious.
Here are a few serving suggestions for Paneer Bhurji:
- Serve Paneer Bhurji as a side dish with roti, naan bread, or plain paratha.
- Use it as a filling for sandwiches or wraps.
- Serve it with dal tarka and steamed rice or quinoa for a protein-packed meal.
- Wrap it in a warm and soft kathi roll, with some green chutney, and enjoy it as a street food.
- Stuff it inside paratha and make a delicious stuffed paneer paratha just like aloo paratha and gobi paratha.
- Use it as a filling for samosas, kachoris or dosa.
- Serve it as a topping on crispy toasts or homemade dinner rolls for a quick breakfast or brunch.
- Serve it as a side dish with dal makhani or chana masala and raita for a complete Indian meal.
Storing leftover Paneer Bhurji
Allow the Paneer Bhurji to cool down completely. Then store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat the bhurji in the microwave and serve hot.
Have got leftover Paneer – what can I make?
There are many different dishes you can make with leftover paneer. Here are a few ideas
- Paneer Curry
- Restaurant style paneer butter masala
- Palak paneer
- Matar Paneer
- Paneer Sandwich
- Easy Paneer Biryani
Frequently asked questions
What are the Paneer substitutes for Paneer Bhurji?
Tofu or Egg is a good substitution for Paneer in this Paneer Bhurji recipe. It will give the dish a similar texture but with a different taste.
Where can I buy Paneer in the UK?
Paneer can be found in most Indian grocery stores, Costco and supermarkets in the UK. Some supermarkets like Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Asda, and Morrisons carry paneer in their international or frozen section.
If you love this recipe, you will also love these quick and easy Indian curries
Easy peasy Paneer Bhurji recipe below
- 250 g Paneer crumbled
- 1 Onion (85g) chopped
- 1 Green Pepper(100g) chopped
- 1 Medium Tomato (85g) chopped
- 1 Tsp Ginger grated
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½-¾ Tsp Chilli Powder
- ¾ Tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste Adjust it to your taste
- 2 Green Chillies finely chopped (optional)
- 1 Tsp Oil
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Coriander Leaves
- ½ lemon juice Optional
- Heat oil in pan and cumin seeds.Allow them to sizzle.
- Add onion, green chillies and ginger. Saute until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, spice powders and cook until mushy.
- Next add the green pepper and cook for 2 minutes or so.
- Add the crumbled paneer and peas and sauté for a minute or two.
- Add the lemon juice and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve hot.
ensure, not to overcook the green pepper and the curry overall. It will change the texture.