Aloo Capsicum Recipe . Aloo Shimla Mirch sabzi – a simple dry Side dish recipe where the elegant flavours, spices and vegetables marry each other to make it comforting combination!
A No-Onion No-Garlic recipe, still bang on flavours and works as a perfect side dish for Roti’s.
Its just a misconception that Indian Food is loaded with spices, ginger and garlic. And its HOT!! Indian curries are sometimes referred to as Sabzi’s when they are dry and referred to as Curries when they are semi dry or wet . All spice blends are not Curry Powder !! They all have specific names 🙂 There is an art to play around with spices and it does require a bit of understanding and control on pairing them. You would love our 2 minutes homemade Garam masala blend in this recipe.
This recipe for dry Aloo Capsicum or call it Stir fry Potato & Pepper requires very minimal spices for this combo of vegetables, yet they taste just simple, appetising and comforting.
If you are still looking for more NO Onion NO Garlic Curry, how about checking out
Why the name Aloo Capsicum?
Aloo is Potatoes
and Capsicum is Green Peppers.
Call is Aloo Capsicum or Stir fried Potato Pepper fry or Aloo Shimla Mirch, they are all the same.
CAN I USED MIXED PEPPERS FOR THIS RECIPE OF ALOO CAPSICUM DRY?
Well, I would say ‘No’ , as the flavours of Green Peppers marry Potatoes beautifully in this recipe and I am not sure if colourful peppers would render the same flavours to this Shimla Mirch sabzi.
ABOUT THE RECIPE – ALOO CAPSICUM SABJI
During my childhood days, I used to watch my mum experiment one new dry curry for my dad to work. It had to a dry vegetarian sabji to accompany the roti’s, as my dad had to carry it by the Mumbai local trains and the food had to be intact until he reached work. One of those day’s when my mum packed this stir fry Potato & Capsicum sabzi for dad, I remember tasting the remaining sabzi reluctantly.. But it was amazing!! That combo of Potato and Green Pepper is just simple but works like a successful marriage of flavours with just basic spices!
BTW Folks, did you notice my new Staub Double Handle frying pan? They are so gorgeous that they can make it to the dinning table straight from the flames. The round Magnetic Trivet is so so handy.. and they would just not let go of my pan on the table. Isn’t that cool. Its absolutely functional and does the job of holding the cast iron pan. Thank You to the lovely souls at Zwillings UK who sent these to me.
We still love the Blue Cocottes and I often use it for gatherings.. Check out my Paneer Biryani Post to know how much we are in love with them. And the Staub Pancake Pans from Zwillings are a star. They are in use literally everyday and is a keeper product.
A reader once told me that she has been using her Staub Pancake Pans for the last 20 years.. Can’t ask for more!
You can check out all the gorgeous cookware, tableware and other kitchen products at Zwillings UK.
OTHER INDIAN CURRIES TO EXPLORE
Matar Paneer – Peas and Cottage Cheese Curry
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE ?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
ALOO CAPSICUM RECIPE | ALOO SHIMLA MIRCH RECIPE BELOW
- 5 Medium Sized Potatoes
- 3 Large Green Peppers Capsicum
- 4 Tblsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 11/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3/4 Tsp Chilli Powder add more to make it spicier
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- 3/4 Tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash, Peel and cut the potatoes into strips. Core the seeds of the pepper and cut them into long strips.
- Heat oil in a Deep Pan, add cumin seeds. Once they splutter add asafoetida and the potatoes.
- Saute them until they are half cooked and begin to crisp around the edges. Add a few sprinkles of water, if you feel the potatoes are getting stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the Peppers, Turmeric Powder, Chilli Powder 1/2 the portion of salt and give it a good stir. Place the lid and allow them cook for 4-5 minutes. Remember to check in between so that the vegetables do not get mushy.
- Remove the lid, add coriander powder, garam masala and the remaining salt and stir well. Saute for another 2-3 minutes and serve Aloo Capsicum hot along with phulka's/ roti's.