Tired of getting mushy rice or having to soak it before cooking? Try our easy method for cooking perfect Brown Basmati rice on the stovetop every time. Once you try this foolproof method, you’ll never want to cook brown rice any other way. Find out how to achieve delicious, fluffy Brown Basmati rice with no fuss or hassle.
About this simple Brown rice recipe
Hate mushy or undercooked Brown rice like me? I know I was – until I discovered this simple, foolproof technique for perfectly cooked rice every time. All you need to do is wash the rice a few times until the water runs clear, then cook it uncovered in a pot of water for 25 minutes.
Drain and let it sit for a few minutes, and voila – perfectly cooked Brown Basmati rice that’s fluffy, aromatic, and delicious.
One of the things I love about this technique is how easy it is. There’s no need to worry about fluffing the rice or adding extra ingredients – just cook it in water and you’re done.
And the best part? You can serve this rice with all sorts of dishes, from split peas dal, Dishoom’s black dal, Paneer curry, Chana Masala and more. They also make a delicious base for seasoned rice like Thai Pineapple fried rice.
Why should you try this recipe?
- This technique will work with any type of Brown rice – whether it’s short, long-grain, or medium-grain. Just avoid the quick-cook varieties.
- Unlike other methods, there is no need to sauté the rice in oil before cooking.
- No need for an Instant Pot pressure cooker or rice cooker – this simple stovetop method works like a charm. All you need is a pot and sieve, making it accessible to everyone.
- Our recipe is very easy to follow and produces fluffy, delicious Brown rice every time. Once you try it, you won’t need to try any other methods. It’s a foolproof way to make Brown rice that even beginners can master.
- Follow the rule of thumb: use 3-4 parts of water for every 1 part of rice. This ratio ensures that the rice is cooked evenly and doesn’t become too mushy or dry.
How to cook my Perfect Brown Basmati rice?
To cook my Whole grain Brown basmati rice on the stove top, here are my 4 steps.
Rinse: Rinse the rice in clean water 3-4 times until the water runs clear. Swirl the rice gently in the same direction to avoid breaking the tips. Drain the rice.
Cook: Add the rice to a pot with 3 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Cook uncovered on medium heat for 25 minutes.
Drain and cover: After 25 minutes, drain the rice and cover the pot with a lid. Let it stand for 3 minutes to steam and absorb any excess moisture.
Serve: Fluff the rice with a fork and it’s ready to serve!
- Serve Brown rice as a side dish with your favourite curry / dal like Paneer butter masala,yellow split peas dhal, tarka dal, chickpea tikka masala, creamy aubergine curry and more.
- Use Brown rice as a base for Burrito bowls or Sweet Potato Buddha bowls.
- Use in stir fry recipes like Vegetable Fried rice, Honey Soy fried rice, Mexican rice and more.
- Mix cooked Brown rice with some herbs and spices to make a seasoned rice base.
- Get creative and use in Biryani, Soups, Casserole dishes and anything you fancy.
Storing leftover Brown basmati rice
Leftover brown basmati rice can be stored in the fridge or freezer to enjoy later.
Fridge: To store in the fridge, allow the rice to cool completely and store in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat by steaming, microwaving, or pan-frying with a little oil or butter.
Freezer: To store in the freezer, cool the rice completely and store in a sealed container or freezer-safe bag for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight or in cold water, then reheat as above.
What is Brown Basmati rice?
Brown Basmati rice is a type of long-grain rice that has a distinct light brown colour and a nutty flavour.
Unlike white rice, which is stripped of its outer layers during processing, Brown rice retains its bran and germ layers, which are rich in fibre, vitamins, and minerals. This makes it a healthier option for those looking to add more whole grains to their diet.
Where can I buy Brown basmati rice in the UK?
Wholegrain Brown Basmati rice is widely available in the UK and can be found in most supermarkets like Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsburys, Morrisons, ASDA or grocery stores near you.
Which brand of Brown Basmati rice can I buy in the UK?
In the UK, you can find various brands of brown basmati rice, ranging from supermarket own-brand options to premium choices like Tilda Whole Grain Brown Basmati Rice.
Do I need to soak Brown basmati rice before cooking?
There’s no need to soak Basmati rice before cooking it. Simply rinse the rice and cook it according to your preferred method. Soaking may actually cause the rice to become too soft or mushy when cooked.
Do I need to rinse the Brown rice before cooking?
Yes, it is recommended to rinse Brown rice before cooking. Washing the rice 3-4 times in clean water is necessary to remove debris and excess starch that can cause the rice to stick together when cooked.
How long does Brown basmati rice take to cook?
Cooking Brown basmati rice takes only 25 minutes. The process is very similar to cooking pasta.
Easy homemade Wholegrain brown rice recipe below
- 1 cup brown basmati rice 120 g
- 3 cup water 700ml
- Salt to taste
- Rinse rice in clean water 3-4 times until water runs clear. Drain.1 cup brown basmati rice, 3 cup water, Salt to taste
- Add rice and 3 cups of hot water from the kettle. Bring to boil and cook uncovered for 25 minutes on medium heat.
- Drain, cover, and let it steam for 3 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.