Crispy Air fryer Gobi Manchurian is a healthier version of the deep-fried Manchurian, as it’s air-fried and uses very little oil. This popular Indo-Chinese street food is made with air-fried cauliflower florets tossed in a homemade sticky, sweet, spicy sauce with a unique flavor. Make them at home in minutes and enjoy the healthy cauliflower Manchurian guilt-free.
CRISPY AIR FRIED CAULIFLOWER MANCHURIAN
One of the first things we love to order from any dine-in Indian restaurant menu is a sizzling platter of Gobi Manchurian. It’s crispy, spicy, hot, coated with a delicious umami flavored sauce, and garnished with spring onions.
As my family loves anything made with cauliflower,they are sure to give it a big thumbs up for this homemade Manchurian. Having fond memories of enjoying gobi Manchurian in India, I always wanted my family to enjoy the taste of Indo-Chinese Cuisine. It’s quite rare to find authentic flavors in the UK.
Although delicious, deep frying the Cauliflower to perfection is time taking. Over a period of time, I started pan-frying them, air frying, or oven baking them.
Air frying has become my preferred choice, as it requires no babysitting and the recipe is healthier!
You really cannot make out if the cauliflower is air-fried or deep fried after tossing them in the sauce.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THESE AIR FRYER GOBI MANCHURIAN
Ditch deep frying the cauliflower florets and air fry/oven bake them.
- Air fried – I prefer Air frying / Oven Baked to deep frying the cauliflower florets. Not only the gobi Manchurian becomes healthy, but air frying also cuts down the babysitting time and cooking time.
- Uses a fraction of Oil – While Air frying any recipe, I like to add only bare minimum quantity of oil as necessary. This recipe for air fryer Manchurian uses only a fraction of oil than the deep-fried version.
- No added additives or MSG– Restaurant Gobi Manchurian often has got MSG / Ajinomoto. I prefer not to add them to any of my Indian Chinese recipes. If you would like to add, add just a pinch.
- Tasty, healthy Indian Chinese Street Food – Get the taste of the restaurant in the comfort of your home.
- Budget-Friendly – So much cheaper than ordering a takeaway.
- Great as a snack or for lunch or dinner – it is so easy to make these in the air fryer and have a delicious meal in just a few minutes.
- Dietary requirements – Vegan
Cauliflower – Any size of cauliflower ( gobi ) will work in the recipe. Cut the cauliflower into small florets – it will be easy to fry.
Plain Flour or All-Purpose Flour or Maida
Corn starch – Add the cornstarch to the batter to increase the crispiness
Ginger Garlic Paste or minced ginger-garlic – They add great flavors to cauliflower.
Chilli Powder is optional.
Salt & Pepper to taste – Season to your liking.
For the Manchurian Sauce
Sesame Oil or any other neutral flavor oil – I prefer using toasted sesame oil in my Indo-Chinese cooking. Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Sunflower oil, or Vegetable Oil will work but do not use Coconut oil.
White or Red Onion is a must in the recipe. You could swap for any ( whichever is available )
Celery is optional.
Spring Onions – Both the White and Green Party of the Spring Onions (Scallions) are used in the recipe. White can be used for cooking and green is used for garnishing.
Green Pepper also known as Capsicum or Bell Pepper is delicious. I would not swap it for Red or Yellow Pepper
Manchurian Sauces – I love to add Soy Sauce, Vinegar, Tomato Ketchup, and Chilli Sauce. Adding Tomato Ketchup and Vinegar in moderation is important, else the gobhi Manchurian can be too sweet and too tart.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER CAULIFLOWER MANCHURIAN
- First, blanch the cauliflower in water with a little vinegar. This step is crucial to ensure you have clean cauli. Drain the blanched cauliflower and set it aside.
- In the meanwhile, prepare the batter to coat the gobi. In a bowl, add the flours, ginger garlic paste, salt, pepper, and a little chili powder. Add water a little at a time and whisk the ingredients to have a smooth batter.
- Coat the cauliflower ( gobhi ) with the batter, shaking away the excess. Repeat the process for the remaining cauliflower.
- Arrange the batter-coated cauliflower in the airfryer basket. Spray or brush with oil. Air fry at 400F for 12- 14 minutes. Flip them at half time, to ensure they are roasted evenly.
- While the cauliflower is getting air fried, prepare the Manchurian sauce.
- Heat the pan with sesame oil. Add the onions, ginger garlic, and toss them for 1 minute. Now add the green pepper ( capsicum ) and toss briefly.
- Add the sauces – soy sauce, vinegar, chilli sauce( sriracha or any other hot sauce ), and tomato ketchup. Stir to mix the sauces well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Now add the air frier cauliflower to the pan and toss with the sauces. Garnish with spring onions and serve.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH AIR FRYER GOBI MANCHURIAN
MORE AIR FRYER VEGETARIAN RECIPES
- Cauliflower Steak
- Buffalo Cauliflower wings
- Crispy Tofu
- Roast Potatoes
- Roasted Asparagus
- Crispy Air fryer Broccoli
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE?
Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a ★ rating!
For the Batter
- 1 medium Cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- 3 Tbsp Corn starch
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- ¼ Tsp Chilli Powder
- ½-¾ cup water
- Salt & Pepper to taste
For the Manchurian Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil or any other oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 4-5 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Ginger minced
- 3 Tbsp Spring onion white
- ½ green pepper diced fine
- 2 Tsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tsp Chilli sauce or any hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- ½-1 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp corn flour dissolved in 4 tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp Spring onion greens for garnishing
- Wash the cauliflower head and cut them into florets. Approximately 3 Cups of florets.
- First, blanch the cauliflower in water with a 1 tsp vinegar for 3 minutes. This step is crucial to ensure you have clean cauliflower. Drain the blanched cauliflower and set it aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for batter mix and whisk them smooth. Batter mix should be thick enough to coat the florets well.
- Dip the cauliflower florets individually into the batter mix, shake off any excess and place them on the parchment paper.
- Preheat the Air fryer to 400F (200 C ) for 3 minutes. Pull the basket from the air fryer and place the cauliflower florets in them. Brush with a little oil. Slide it back in the air fryer and fry for 12-14 minutes.
- Turn the florets half way to cook uniformly.
- To prepare the manchurian sauce, heat oil at high heat. Add the onions, spring oinions, garlic , ginger & green chillies and saute it for 2 -3 mins.
- Add the green pepper and celery ( if using ) and sauce briefly for 1 minute.
- Now add the sauces – soy sauce , vinegar , chilli sauce and tomato ketchup. Stir to mix the sauces well. Add Salt to taste.
- Now add the corn flour slurry to the sauces and cook in high heat for 1 minutes. The sauce will thicken up. Turn off the flame.
- Add the the air fried cauliflower florets to the sauce and toss to coat well.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve hot.