Looking for a refreshing and healthy way to stay hydrated this summer? Try this one-ingredient fresh watermelon juice! With its perfect balance of sweetness and juiciness, this homemade drink is the perfect way to quench your thirst on a hot day.
So ditch the store-bought carton juice and grab a blender to make this delicious and easy watermelon juice today!
About this Watermelon Juice recipe
This Watermelon Juice recipe is the ultimate summer thirst-quencher just like fresh pineapple juice! Making it is a breeze – all you need is some juicy watermelon and a blender, no fussing around with complicated ingredients or steps.
And get this, it’s a one-ingredient recipe because watermelon already has 90% water content, so there’s no need to add more water. Of course, if you want it extra cold, chuck in a few ice cubes.
If you want to jazz it up, squeeze some lime juice in there or throw in a few mint leaves for added freshness. Plus, when you use perfectly ripe watermelon, the juice is already sweet enough on its own – you won’t even need to add any extra sugar or sweeteners.
Why make this recipe?
- Easy to make at home with readily available ingredients
- Adaptable recipe – add in other fruits like strawberry, mango, pineapple or lime/mint for a unique taste
- No need for added sweeteners, as the natural sweetness of the watermelon is enough
- Tastes fresh and refreshing – a great alternative to carton-packed juice from concentrate
- Best consumed the same day, stays fresh in the fridge for up to 24 hours
- Recipe can be doubled, tripled, or halved to suit your needs.
This watermelon juice is not just delicious, but it’s also packed with health benefits! Watermelon is a low-calorie fruit that’s rich in vitamins A and C, as well as antioxidants that help protect your body from damage caused by harmful free radicals. It’s also a great source of hydration, containing up to 92% water.
Did you know that one cup of diced watermelon contains just 46 calories and about 9g of sugar? It’s naturally fat-free, cholesterol-free, and low in sodium, making it a guilt-free snack or ingredient to add to your diet.
Plus, the high levels of lycopene in watermelon are known to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which may help reduce the risk of certain diseases like heart disease and cancer.
Tips to select the right watermelon
- Give the watermelon a tap with your knuckles. A ripe watermelon should have a deep, hollow sound.
- Check the watermelon’s weight. A ripe watermelon should feel heavy for its size.
- Look for a dull skin. A shiny skin indicates that it may not be ripe yet.
- Check the watermelon’s field spot, which is the area where it rested on the ground. It should be a creamy yellow colour, indicating that it’s ripe. If it’s white or green, it’s likely underripe.
- Check for sugar spots, which are small dark spots on the watermelon’s skin. These indicate that the watermelon is extra sweet
How to Juice Watermelon
Cut your watermelon into small, manageable chunks, removing any seeds or rind as necessary.
Place the chunks into a blender, making sure not to overfill it.
Blend the watermelon chunks until you achieve a smooth consistency. About 40-60 seconds.
If you prefer a thinner juice, you can strain it through a fine mesh sieve or cheesecloth. However, if you prefer a thicker consistency, you can skip this step.
If desired, add in some lime or lemon juice or mint leaves for added flavour.
Thinking what to do with leftover watermelon juice
In the fridge: Watermelon Juice tastes best within 24 hours, stored in the fridge.
In the freezer: For longer storage, Freeze the watermelon juice in large ice cube trays for later. Use it to Watermelon Frose, Watermelon granita or Smoothie.
How to make Homemade Watermelon Juice?
- 1 Kg Water Melon ( roughly 2 lb )
- Lemon Juice ( optional )
- Mint to garnish (optional)
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Slice or scoop the watermelon, de seed and chop them into pieces.
- In a blender jar, add the watermelon pieces and blend for 40 – 60 seconds until smooth.
- Strain the juice through a fine sieve mesh strainer if the watermelon is seeded or pulpy.
- For added flavours, add lemon juice and give it a good stir.
- If you like it chilled, fill your glasses with a few ice cubes, pour watermelon juice and garnish with Mint leaves before serving.