This Homemade Carrot Coriander Soup is a British classic, blending the timeless and classic combo of carrots and coriander. Made with everyday ingredients, this Vegan soup is simply delicious, offering a warming and comforting flavours in every spoonful. Plus, it’s ready in about 30 minutes, making it a quick and satisfying meal option.
About this Simple Carrot Coriander Soup recipe
We love the classic combination of carrot and coriander. There is nothing quite like a warm bowl of soup on cold winter days just like Air fryer carrot soup and Vegan Cauliflower soup. Its comforting and an easy meal to make, especially when you’re short on time.
Did I tell you, this delightful Carrot Coriander soup recipe comes from my neighbour, Pat, who prepared it for us a few times several years ago. Pat also thoughtfully hand-wrote this recipe, along with one for her Cauliflower cheese, a firm family favourite now.
Why you’ll love this soup recipe?
- Simple: This carrot coriander soup recipe is incredibly easy to follow, making it perfect for both beginner and experienced cooks.
- Budget-friendly: It uses affordable and readily available ingredients, making it an economical choice for any meal.
- Versatile: You can customise this soup with your favourite spices or herbs to suit your taste preferences.
- Freezer-friendly: Prepare a big batch and freeze it for later; it reheats beautifully for quick, convenient meals.
- Dietary needs: It’s naturally vegan and suitable for vegetarians, plus it’s gluten-free, making it a versatile option for a range of dietary preferences.
- Carrots: Peel and cut the carrots to a similar size for even cooking, ensuring a smooth and consistent texture in your soup.
- Coriander: Use fresh coriander, including the stalk, to infuse your soup with vibrant, aromatic flavours.
- Onion: Opt for white onion, as it preserves the soup’s colour and offers a milder flavour; red onions are not recommended for this recipe.
- Garlic: It is completely optional. But if you do love it in you soup add 2-3 cloves.
- Celery: It lends depth and savoury notes to the soup, enhancing the overall taste.
- Vegetable Stock: The foundation of this soup’s rich flavour, vegetable stock provides a savoury base and complements the other ingredients.
- Potato: The potato adds creaminess and body to the soup, ensuring a satisfying and velvety texture.
- Ground Coriander Powder: Enhance the coriander flavour with ground coriander powder, adding a layer of complexity to the soup’s taste.
- Salt & Pepper to Taste: Season your soup with salt and pepper to your liking, allowing you to customise the flavour profile to suit your preferences.
- Optional Toppings: Elevate your bowl of Carrot Coriander soup with optional toppings like red chili flakes for a spicy kick, a dollop of yogurt for creaminess, and a garnish of fresh coriander for a burst of freshness. These toppings add texture and contrast to your soup, making it even more enjoyable.
How to make my Easy Carrot Coriander Soup?: Step by Step
This soup is incredibly simple to prepare. Begin by gently sautéing the onion, garlic and celery in some oil. Next, add the chopped carrots, potatoes, ground coriander, vegetable stock, salt, and pepper. Cook over medium heat, allowing it to simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
Afterward, transfer the soup mixture along with the fresh coriander to a blender and process until it reaches a smooth consistency. Taste and adjust the seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed.
Serve the soup in individual bowls, garnishing each with freshly chopped coriander. If desired, add a sprinkle of chilli flakes or a dollop of yogurt or cream for extra flavour and texture.
Top Tips to make the Best carrot and coriander soup
- Use a tabletop blender for a smoother consistency; hand blenders or food processors may result in a chunkier texture.
- Add fresh coriander after cooking the carrots and blend immediately to preserve its vibrant flavour.
- Opt for white onions for the best soup flavour, as their mildness complements the dish perfectly.
- If you are using garlic, make sure it doesn’t brown.
For an extra layer of flavour and freshness, consider serving it alongside a light green salad to complete the dining experience.
Sometimes for a change, I add a handful of cooked pasta to this Coriander and Carrot Soup and top it with cheese.
How to create a cream / yogurt swirl on the soup like this?
To create an attractive yogurt swirl on your soup, follow these steps:
- Place small yogurt dollops on the soup.
- Gently pull a swirl using a toothpick or skewer.
- Add toppings, then serve.
In the Fridge: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator, where they can remain fresh for up to 4-5 days.
In the Freezer: For longer-term storage, transfer the leftovers into individual portion containers, label them, and place them in the freezer, where they can be kept for up to 3 months.
Reheating: When you’re ready to enjoy your leftovers, simply place them in the microwave and heat them thoroughly before serving.
How do I make Pressure Cooker Carrot and Coriander Soup?
The process is quite straightforward. Begin by sautéing celery and onion in oil for 2 minutes. Then, add the remaining ingredients – carrots, potato, stock, ground coriander, salt, and pepper. Pressure cook for 2 minutes, and allow the pressure to release naturally. Next, transfer the cooked carrots to a blender along with fresh coriander and blend until you achieve a smooth consistency. Finally, serve the soup in bowls, garnish as desired, and enjoy.
How can I adjust the spices in the Carrot Coriander Soup?
You have several options to vary the spices in your Carrot Coriander Soup:
- For a mild curry flavour, include curry powder in addition to salt and pepper.
- If you prefer a bit of heat, try adding a teaspoon of paprika and ginger.
- For a simpler taste, stick to the classic combination of salt, pepper, and ground coriander.
How to make Carrot soup creamier without adding potatoes?
- Adding a small amount of cooked rice or quinoa to the soup will give it a creamier texture.
- Adding a quarter can of coconut milk, heavy cream, or creme fraiche to the soup will also give it a rich and creamy texture.
If love this easy Soup recipe, you will also love
30 minutes Easy Homemade Carrot and Coriander Soup recipe below
- 450 g carrots, peeled and chopped ( About 3-4 large ones)
- 8 g chopped coriander ½ cup
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- 1 stalk of celery
- 110 g white onion chopped (1 medium-sized onion)
- 3 cloves garlic optional
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g potato diced ( ¾ cup)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp Fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp Fresh cream/Yogurt
- Heat olive oil in a large pan, then add celery, onions, and garlic (if using). Sauté for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add carrots, potatoes, vegetable stock, ground coriander, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the carrots become tender.
- Transfer the mixture, including fresh coriander, to a blender and process until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup in bowls, garnished with a teaspoon of cream, a sprinkle of fresh coriander leaves, and a touch of chilli flakes if desired. Enjoy!