Try this homemade cheddar cheese and chive dip – the ultimate British favourite! Made with just a few simple ingredients, this dip is creamy, cheesy, and bursting with fresh chive flavours. Perfect for dipping roasted veggies or chips, it’s sure to be a hit.
So much better than the store bought ones, you are going to love this homemade cheese chive dip!
About my really easy Cheese Chive dip recipe
You will only need 7 ingredients and 5 minutes to make my simple cheddar cheese and chive dip at home. And the best part is that this cheese chive dip is always a hit with everyone who tries it. The creamy and cheesy flavours are perfectly complemented by the freshness of the chives, making it an irresistible dip.
But wait, there’s more! If you want to add a little extra something to this dip, you can always customise it to your taste. For example, you can add some hot sauce or diced jalapeños for a spicy kick. Add fresh onion and garlic to make an onion garlic dip. The possibilities are endless, so feel free to get creative with it!
I’ve found that this cheese chive dip is particularly popular among my British friends. It’s the perfect addition to any party or gathering, and it’s so quick and easy to make that you can whip it up at a moment’s notice.
Make the dipping sauce ahead, store in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. Allow the flavours mingle while sitting in the fridge for a more delicious dip.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Sour cream – Use regular sour cream or substitute it with a low-fat or non-fat version if you prefer a healthier option.
Mayonnaise – Regular full fat Mayonnaise adds a richness and creaminess to the dip. You can use vegan mayonnaise or light mayonnaise or substitute it with Greek yogurt or sour cream if you prefer.
Cheese – Fresh grated cheddar cheese works best for this dip. I don’t recommend pre shredded ones as they have a coarse texture.
Garlic – For a milder garlicky flavour, I prefer to use garlic powder instead of fresh minced garlic.
Lemon – Fresh or store bought lemon juice adds the perfect zing in the sauce.
Salt & Pepper – Add it as per taste.
Chives – I recommend using fresh chives. You can substitute with dried chives, scallions, or green onions.
How to make Cheese Chive dip at home?
In a medium sized bowl, place all the ingredient and simply mix together. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve the dip immediately or store in refrigerator for later use.
Why should you try this dip at home?
Budget-friendly: This homemade cheese and chive dip is made with affordable ingredients that are readily available in most grocery stores, making it a cost-effective alternative to store-bought dips like M&S cheese and chive or Tesco Cheddar cheese and chive dip
Quick and Easy to make: Go from fridge to table in under 5 minutes with no need for extensive preparation.
Scale it up or down: Can be made in large batches for parties or potlucks or enjoyed as a quick snack anytime
Adaptable: You can easily adjust the amount of cheddar cheese, chives or other ingredients to suit your preferences, making it a flexible recipe that you can adapt to your liking
Healthy: This dip is relatively low in calories and can be made with healthier alternatives, such as low-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt, without compromising on taste.
Dietary needs: Suitable for Vegetarians and Gluten free diet. Can be Vegan friendly if you sub for vegan sour cream, vegan mayo and cheese.
Tips to make the Best Cheese and Chives Dipping sauce
- Use only fresh ingredients: The flavour of your dip will largely depend on the freshness of the ingredients you use. Always use fresh sour cream, cheddar cheese, and chives for the best results.
- Let the dip sit before serving: Cheese chive dip tastes even better after it had a chance to sit for a little while. Letting it sit in the fridge for an hour or two will allow the flavours to meld together and create a more cohesive taste.
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil: Mix in a few tablespoons of chopped sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil to the base recipe for a Mediterranean-inspired dip that’s bursting with flavour.
- Blue Cheese and Hot Sauce: Swap out the cheddar cheese for crumbled blue cheese and add a few dashes of hot sauce to the base recipe for a tangy, spicy dip that’s sure to be a hit at any party.
- Smoked Paprika or Ground Cumin: Experiment with unique twist of different seasoning.
- Vary the herbs – Swap the chives for parsley or mint for fresh flavours.
In the fridge: Store the dip in air tight container or mason jar in the fridge for up to 3 days. If the dip is too thick, stir in some mayo, splash of water or lemon juice to adjust the consistency.
In the Freezer: If you have a large batch of leftover sauce that you won’t be using within a few days, you can freeze it for later use. Transfer the sauce to a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw carefully: When ready to use, thaw the sauce in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, stir the sauce vigorously to recombine any separated ingredients. You may also need to add a small amount of mayo or another thickening agent to improve the texture.
Love quick 5 minutes dipping sauce recipes , you will also love
- Sweet chilli mayo
- Bang Bang Sauce
- Boom Boom Sauce
- Creamy coriander sauce
- Mango mustard dipping sauce
- Sour cream and chives dip
Quick and Easy Cheese & Chive Dip recipe below
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise or Vegan Mayo
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp chives diced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice ( Juice of 1/2 lemon)
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper and half the chopped chives.1 cup sour cream, ½ cup mayonnaise, ½ tsp garlic powder, salt to taste, ½ tsp ground black pepper, 3 tbsp chives, 2 tbsp lemon juice, ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- Mix it well to combine.
- Transfer to a serving dish and add the remaining chives as garnish.3 tbsp chives
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.Serve chilled with roasted cauliflower, chunky chips, salad vegetables and more.