Try my fresh onion garlic dip recipe, a popular British favourite dip! With just a few simple ingredients, this dip can be made in just 5 minutes and is the perfect addition to any party or gathering. With its creamy texture and bold, savoury taste, it’s sure to be a hit with everyone who tries it.
About my simple fresh Onion Garlic dip recipe
My recipe for a tasty onion garlic dip only needs 8 ingredients and 5 minutes to make. It’s made with sour cream, mayo, onions, and garlic, and it’s always a favourite with everyone who tries it. The onions and garlic add a bold and pungent taste to the dip, making it savoury and flavourful. Where as sour cream and mayo lends a rich and creamy texture with a tang.
You can also make it your own by changing it up with different ingredients. For example, you can use vegan sour cream and mayo if you want a vegan version. So why buy from the store, when you can make your own in the comfort of your home instantly. Also its a lot cheaper and fresher any day!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Sour cream – Use regular sour cream or substitute it with a low-fat or non-fat version if you prefer a healthier option.
Mayonnaise – Regular full fat Mayonnaise adds a richness and creaminess to the dip. You can use vegan mayonnaise or light mayonnaise or substitute it with Greek yogurt or sour cream if you prefer.
Onion– I prefer to use grated Brown onion or shallots for this dip. Do not use Red onion as it can leave a pink hue to the dip and is a lot stronger in its flavour profile.
Garlic– Fresh minced garlic or garlic powder – both work well.
Lemon – Fresh or store bought lemon juice adds the perfect zing in the sauce.
Salt & Pepper – Add it as per taste.
Parsley– I recommend using fresh parsley. You can substitute with chives, scallions, or green onions.
How to make Onion and Garlic dip at home?
Grate the onion, mince the garlic and set them aside.
In a medium bowl, add the onion, garlic, sour cream, mayo, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper. Combine.
Transfer to serving dish and add the remaining parsley. Chill it in the fridge until you are ready to serve. The flavour meld together then.
Tips to make the best Garlic Onion dip
Use white, brown or shallots for this recipe
Fresh garlic tastes best, but you can also use garlic powder
Chill the dip in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes to allow the ingredients to meld.
Serve homemade sour cream onion garlic dip with
- a platter of crispy Potato chips, Air fryer Smashed potatoes or Potato slices for a classic and crowd-pleasing combination.
- freshly cut vegetables like carrot sticks, celery, and bell pepper strips for a refreshing and healthy snack.
- toasted baguette slices, garlic knots, soda bread or crackers for a tasty and savoury appetiser.
- baked potatoes or sweet potato cubes, adding a creamy and flavourful twist to your favourite side dish.
In the fridge: Store the dip in air tight container or mason jar in the fridge for up to 3 days. If the dip is too thick, stir in some mayo, splash of water or lemon juice to adjust the consistency.
If you love this dip, you will also love
Homemade Onion Garlic dip recipe below
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise or Vegan Mayo
- ⅛ medium white onion grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (Juice of 1/2 lemon)
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the sour cream, mayonnaise, minced garlic, grated onion, salt, black pepper and half the chopped parsley.1 cup sour cream, ½ cup mayonnaise, 1 clove garlic, salt to taste, ½ tsp ground black pepper, 3 tbsp parsley, 2 tbsp lemon juice, ⅛ medium white onion
- Mix it well to combine.
- Transfer to a serving dish and add the remaining parsley as garnish.3 tbsp parsley
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.Serve chilled with roasted cauliflower, chunky chips, salad vegetables and more.