Skip canned chickpeas and opt for cooking dried chickpeas at home from scratch. It’s simpler than you might think and budget-friendly too. In this comprehensive guide, I’ll show you how to prepare, cook, and freeze chickpeas with ease.
All about dried chickpeas
Growing up, my mom always soaked a cup of dried chickpeas overnight for dishes like Channa Masala or Chickpea Sundal. Yet, there were tricks to expedite the soaking process, just in case. After soaking, they were easy to cook in a pressure cooker on the stovetop, and in no time, we had cups of cooked chickpeas ready to go!
Until we moved to the UK 19 years ago, I’d never seen canned chickpeas or canned garbanzo beans. I, like many, opted for the canned variety for convenience, even when I had time. But after reading the nutrition label, I realised it wasn’t the best option due to the sodium and preservatives.
Since then, I’ve gone back to the old-school approach whenever feasible! Just add the soaked chickpeas to a pressure cooker with a few cups of water and cook for 25 minutes. It’s quick, easy, and a lot cheaper. Plus, you have control over the cooking time and seasoning.
Once the chickpeas are cooked, drain them and let them cool before using them in your favourite recipes. You can store any leftovers in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze them for future use. Enjoy your homemade cooked chickpeas in salads, soups, curries, and more!
Measurements converting Dried Chickpeas to Cooked Amount
How much does 1 cup of dried chickpeas weigh?
1 Cup of Dried Chickpeas weighs 200g.
How many cups of chickpeas are in a can?
One 400g can yields 1 1/2 cups of cooked chickpeas.
How many cups does one cup of dried chickpeas make?
1 Cup of Dried Chickpeas equals 3 Cups of Cooked Chickpeas. Dried Chickpeas triple in size when cooked.
Cooked Chickpeas is cheaper than Canned Chickpeas
Time to ditch the store-bought stuff and make cooked chickpeas at home. It’s a lot cheaper than you can imagine. 400g Canned Chickpeas cost about 50 pence. Whereas 1 kg dried Chickpeas costs 2.25£. I just did some basic maths and this may help you.
1 can of chickpeas yields 1.5 cups and it costs 0.5p
1 cup dried chickpeas will yield 3 cups cooked chickpeas and it costs- 0.56p
Soaking Vs No Soaking: Dried Chickpeas
Deciding whether to soak dried chickpeas is crucial. While soaking is often linked to reducing issues like IBS and bloating, personal experiences may vary. The ultimate difference lies in cooking time:
Un soaked Chickpeas:Cook time: 45-50 minutes Soaked Chickpeas:Cook time: 25 minutes
No Soaking Method:
Depending on time constraints, I alternate methods. If I forget to soak or need a quick fix, I opt for the no-soak method. However, it comes with a slightly longer cook time.
I prefer soaking to cut cooking time and save electricity. Here’s how:
- Quick Soak Method (1 Hour Soaking): Place dried chickpeas in a pot, cover with boiling water, and let sit for 1 hour. Chickpeas will hydrated with soaking and plump to triple in size.
- Long Method (8 Hours or Overnight): Cover dried chickpeas with water in a bowl and let soak for 8 hours or overnight. Chickpeas will hydrated with soaking and will expand significantly.
How to cook Dried Chickpeas in Instant Pot?: Step by Step
- Prep: Gather ingredients. I use Instant Pot for cooking dried soaked chickpeas.
- Cooking: Add chickpeas, water, salt, bay leaf to the inner pot of Instant Pot. Seal and Pressure cook 25 mins.
- Finish: Naturally release pressure. Then use cooked chickpeas in recipes. Optional: Add bay leaf and garlic for extra flavour.
Instant Pot Chickpeas Cooking time
It takes about 25-30 minutes for soaked Chickpeas to cook and about 45-50 minutes for unsoaked Chickpeas! Bear in mind, if the beans are old add another 10 minutes of cooking time.
This is only a guide time. If you require slightly firmer chickpeas, use the lower cooking time.
What is quick pressure release?
Quick-release is the process of releasing the steam after cooking in the Instant Pot. To quick pressure release, carefully turn the valve from STEAMING to VENTING position. This will result in a strong jet of steam coming from the pressure release valve . Once the steam has released completely from the valve, the float valve will drop into the lid when the cooker has depressurised.
It is now safe to open the Instant Pot lid.
You are now ready to cook the Chickpeas in pressure cooker.
Storing Leftover Chickpeas
To store leftover chickpeas, drain excess liquid from cooked chickpeas. Store in air tight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Freezing Cooked Chickpeas
Yes, you can freeze cooked chickpeas. Allow to cool chickpeas completely. Transfer to ziplock bags or freezer-safe containers. Freeze for up to 3 months for future use
Easy Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes with Chickpeas
Buddha Bowl – Sweet Potato & Chickpeas Buddha Bowl
Cooking Dried Chickpeas in Instant Pot pressure cooker
How to cook Chickpeas in Instant Pot ? [ Soak & No Soak ]Print Pin Rate
- 2 Cup Dried Chickpeas / Garbanzo Beans
- 6 Cups Water
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Bayleaf optional
- 2 Cloves garlic optional
Soak the Dried Chickpeas
- Place the Dried Chickpeas in a bowl. Add enough water to cover the dried chickpeas and cover with a lid.
- Set it aside for 8 hours to overnight. You will see the soaked chickpeas will triple the size of the dried chickpeas. Drain the water.
How to cook Soaked Chickpeas in Instant Pot
- Add the soaked chickpeas, water, salt & bayleaf to the inner pot of the pressure cooker. Secure the lid and turn the vent to sealing.
- Pressure Cook on HIGH for 20-25 minutes. Allow to naturally release the pressure.
How to cook Unsoaked Chickpeas in Instant Pot ( No Soak )
- Add the dried chickpeas, water, salt & bayleaf to the inner pot of the pressure cooker. Secure the lid and turn the vent to sealing.
- Pressure Cook on HIGH for 40-50 minutes. Once completed, turn off the Instant Pot and wait 20 minutes to naturally release the pressure. Quick-release any remaining pressure and open the the lid when the float pin drops.