Love the classic combination of sautéed potatoes with onions? Then you’ll love these air fryer breakfast potatoes. With a cooking time of less than 20 minutes, they’re a convenient and hassle-free side dish, ready for breakfast. Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, they’re sure to become a family favourite in no time.
My Easy Breakfast Potatoes recipe made in air fryer
You know how much I adore the convenience of air frying and the ease it brings to dinner times. This air fryer breakfast potatoes are about to become your new favourite go-to dish at breakfast times too!
Toss the diced potatoes, onions and peppers with your favourite seasoning and oil. Then, simply air fry until potatoes are crispy on the outside and tender inside. This delicious side pairs well with any meal – like tuck it inside a wrap or add it to your tacos, buddha bowl or quesadillas. They are great sides for a curry too.
But what if you don’t have an air fryer? Not to worry – you can still enjoy this onions and potatoes medley by simply sautéing potatoes and onions on a skillet. Alternatively add it to a baking tray and make one pan breakfast potatoes in the oven.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy – This recipe takes 5 minutes prep time and about 15- 18 minutes of cook time. That makes it perfect for busy weeknights.
- Budget friendly – With basic and easily accessible ingredients, you can enjoy a flavourful and satisfying dish without overspending.
- Healthy – Cooking in the air fryer requires little oil. This makes the dish healthier than traditional sautéed potatoes and onions.
- Versatile – The beauty of this recipe lies in its versatility. You can easily customise to your taste preferences by your favourite seasoning or herbs to create different flavours. Enjoy it as a main course by adding sausages or protein or a combination of veggies.
- Dietary needs – Suitable for vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy free diet.
- Perfect for meal prep – This dish is perfect for meal prep. It can be easily stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in air fryer when needed. Enjoy it for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.
Ingredients & Substitutions to make Breakfast potatoes with peppers and onions
- Potatoes: Choose starchy potatoes such as baking potatoes or Maris Piper in the UK. If you are in the US, opt for Russet or Yukon Gold.
- Onions: Use red onion to add flavour to your dish. If you don’t have red onions on hand, you can substitute them with white onions.
- Peppers: Use a combination of red and yellow peppers. I don’t prefer to use green pepper in this recipe. However if you want to know how to make potatoes and green pepper side dish, I have a recipe aloo shimla mirch.
- Oil: Opt for olive oil or any cooking oil of your choice to sauté the onions and potatoes. Sunflower oil, Vegetable oil or Avocado oil are also suitable alternatives.
- Seasoning: I like to use garlic and onion powder for flavours. Feel free to experiment with smoked paprika, or red pepper flakes to add more depth to the dish or seasoning mix like Cajun seasoning, taco seasoning, fajita seasoning or curry powder.
- Salt & Pepper: Adjust the amount according to your taste preferences.
How To Make Breakfast Potatoes in air fryer: Step-By-Step Guide
To make air fryer sautéed potatoes, onions and peppers, toss the vegetables with oil and desired seasoning.
Place the mixture into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Air fry at 360°F (180°C) for 15-18 minutes, shaking the basket a couple of times.
Remove from the air fryer and serve as a side or enjoy on its own.
Air fryer Breakfast Potatoes are a delightful addition to breakfast, lunch or dinner They can be used in a variety of ways to add flavour and nutrition to your dishes.
- With air fried eggs, sausages, air fryer sautéed mushrooms, and tomatoes.
- Serve alongside grilled vegetables or meat for a delicious and healthy meal.
- Use as a topping in buddha bowl.
- Add to sandwiches or wraps along with lettuce and cheese for added flavour.
- With tadka dal, paneer tikka, roti, kachumber salad and raita for a comforting meal.
Seasoning: Alternate your seasonings with Indian seasoning mix, cajun seasoning, Italian seasoning, or BBQ seasoning to add a unique twist to the sautéed potatoes and onions
Vegetable Combinations: Combine with other vegetables like cauliflower and tomato as in aloo gobi tray bake for a tasty variation.
Additional Ingredients: Consider adding other ingredients like sliced garlic, cherry tomatoes, or even cooked protein such as sliced sausage, paneer or tofu. These additions will up your flavours and provide a more filling meal.
Garnish: With parsley or chives.
Store leftover air fryer breakfast potatoes and onions in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When ready to reheat, simply place them back in the air fryer for 4-5 until crispy again, then serve immediately.
- Cube the potatoes, peppers and onions evenly to ensure even roasting in the air fryer.
- If you prefer your onion less caramelised, add it to the air fryer at a later stage of cooking.
- I find soaking the cubed potatoes for 15 minutes in cold water, removes the extra starch and leaves us with crispy potatoes just like in crispy potato slices. It is optional.
- Save time in advance by partially cooking the vegetables and storing in the fridge. Just before serving, air fry until crispy.
Ways to use leftover air fried crispy breakfast potatoes and onions
- Hash Browns: Make crispy hash browns by sautéing diced potatoes and onions until golden brown.
- Frittata or Quiche: Combine potatoes, onions, eggs, and cheese for a delicious frittata or quiche.
- Potato Salad: Mix air fryer roasted potatoes and onions with mayo, dijon mustard, and dill for a tasty side dish.
- Mashed Potatoes: Add the leftovers along with cooked potatoes. Mash them to create a flavourful mashed potatoes.
What Air fryer do you use?
I can highly recommend Instant Pot Vortex 6 in 1 with 5.7l capacity and Instant Pot Vortex Versazone with 8.5l capacity. Both are reliable options to achieve crispy potato slices and other air-fried recipes with ease.
More Easy Roasted Air Fryer Vegetable recipes
Crispy Breakfast Potatoes, Peppers and Onions recipe below
- 3 cups potatoes cubed (520g)
- 2 cups mixed peppers cubed (240g)
- 1 cup red onion cubed (75g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Mix potatoes with oil, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic granules.3 cups potatoes, 2 cups mixed peppers, 1 cup red onion, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic granules, 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat air fryer to 190°C (375°F).
- Put seasoned potatoes, peppers, and onions in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 15-18 minutes, tossing halfway, until potatoes are crispy and peppers/onions are caramelized.
- Serve hot. Enjoy your delicious breakfast potatoes!