Halloween Sausage Mummies
Easy Sausage Rolls made with Vegan Sausages, Puff Pastry and baked to perfection. Delicious recipe to start baking with kids! Use Edible Eyes to complete the spooky Halloween look.
Learn how to make these easy-peasy Halloween sausages with 4 easy steps.
HALLOWEEN SAUSAGE MUMMIES
Come every Halloween, we work on a range of Halloween food with kids for their party. These sausage mummies are a unanimous favorite among the kids.
Specially, these super easy sausage rolls require only 10 minutes of preparation and 2 essential ingredients plus the edible eyes – Sausage & Puff Pastry!
I love to get the kids involved in making these sausage rolls with 4 easy steps. These are great kids-friendly activity.
- Cut the Puff Pastry into 1 cm strips using a pizza cutter.
- Wrap the ready-rolled puff pastry around the sausages to resemble a bandage. Brush with egg.
- Bake the sausages in the oven ( with adult supervision )
- Add some edible eyes to the mummy hot dogs to complete the spooky sausage look.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
Sausages – I love using Vegan Sausages by Naked Glory or Meatless Farm. You can also use Pork Sausages if you like. Thinking about what else to make Sausages? Try Sausage and Potato tray bake, Puffpastry sausage rolls, air fryer sausages, and sausage tortellini soup
Ready rolled puff pastry – Remove the puff pastry from the refrigerator and leave it on your counter. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for using the puff pastry. They do advise you to leave the puff pastry on your counter for at least 15 – 45 min before using them.
Egg Wash – Lightly whisk an egg. Brush the prepared mummy sausage roll with the egg. This step helps in achieving the perfect golden color for your pastry. (This is optional ).
Edible Eyes – you can use store-bought edible eyes or make one yourself with cheese and olive or mayo and black olive.
HOW TO MAKE SAUSAGE MUMMIES ( Mummy Hot Dogs )STEP BY STEP
First gather the ingredients.
Cut the strips of the ready rolled puff pastry using a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
Wrap the strips around your sausages to create the mummy effect, leaving some space for the face. Lightly brush the pastry with egg.
Bake in a preheated oven at 200 C for 20 -25 minutes or until golden. Allow the puff pastry sausage mummy to cool down a bit.
Fix the edible eyes to the mummies. Serve with spider tomato ketchup.
How to make Edible eyes for your Halloween treats?
Depending upon sweet or savory dish, you can take a call on what you want to use.
For sweet treats – use Store bought Edible eyes. Alternatively, you can make one. Arrange white chocolate chips on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Apply blue icing gel at the centre of the chips to resemble eyes. Allow it to cool down to gel.
For savory treats – use Cheese & Black Olives to create edible eyes.
You can also use mayo and black olives ( my preferred option ) or mustard and ketchup.
Serving Suggestions for Spooky Sausage Mummies
Serve sausage mummies with spider tomato ketchup. To create the web effect, place some tomato ketchup in a bowl. Create webs with mayonnaise and draw lines on the webs with a skewer.
YOU MAY ALSO LOVE THESE RECIPES FOR HALLOWEEN
- 6 sausages
- 1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg lightly whisked ( optional )
- 1 tsp honey
- 12 edible eyes
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Roll out the puff pasty and cut into 1 cm thick strips length wise or widthwise using a pizza cutter.
- Pick one sausage roll at a time, wrap one of the pastry strips around each sausages to create a mummy effect, leaving a little gap for the face. Trim and discard any excess pastry thats too long. Brush with egg.
- Bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown and flaky. Remove from the oven and allow the mummy sausages to cool down a bit.
- Brush a little honey on the underside of the edible eyes and stick on your mummies. Alternatively use cheese and black olives.
- Serve with spider tomato ketchup for a spooky feel.