Crispy Parmentier potatoes made in an air fryer are a delicious and healthier alternative to traditional roast potatoes. Cubes of potatoes are air fried to perfection with garlic and herbs. With only seven simple ingredients, you can enjoy flavourful air fryer Parmentier Potatoes in under 30 minutes.
About my easy Air fryer Parmentier Potatoes recipe (cubed potatoes)
My easy Air Fryer Parmentier Potatoes recipe is a fantastic alternative to mashed or roast potatoes.
While you can easily find pre-seasoned parmentier potatoes at UK supermarkets like Tesco, Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Morrisons, and ASDA, they still require air frying or baking to achieve the desired crispy texture. In my recipe, we skip the parboiling step and instead toss the potatoes with oil, salt, and pepper. Then air fry them for approximately 12 minutes. Then towards the end, add the garlic and herbs for an extra punch of deliciousness and air fry until crispy, crunchy, and bursting with flavour.
Serve these crispy and fragrant Parmentier Potatoes as a side dish for roast dinners, mid-week meals, or any occasion where you want to elevate your potato game.
Why you’ll love these Parmentier Potatoes
- Super Simple and Easy to Make: Even beginner cooks can master this recipe with ease, making them a convenient and delicious side for those hectic evenings.
- Budget friendly: No need for fancy or hard-to-find ingredients. Just grab what you already have in your pantry.
- Quicker Than Cooking in the Oven: Air frying cuts down on cooking time, making these potatoes a time-saving option.
- Versatile Side Dish: Pair these potatoes with a variety of main courses, from meats to vegetarian options, for a versatile and complementary side.
- Leftovers Made Easy: Enjoy the convenience of reheating or eating cold leftovers for a quick and tasty meal the next day or for picnics.
- Customisable: Experiment with different herbs to suit your taste preferences and create unique flavor profiles for your potatoes.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Potatoes: Choose floury varieties like Maris Piper, King Edward, or Rooster for a crispy exterior and fluffy interior.
- Garlic: Opt for fresh garlic to impart the best flavour. Sub for garlic from the jar.
- Oil: Use a neutral-flavoured oil such as sunflower oil or rapeseed oil.
- Herbs: I like to use fresh rosemary and thyme for flavouring the potatoes. They infuse the potatoes with a wonderful fragrance and bring out their savoury flavours.
- Salt & Pepper: Season to taste, enhancing the natural flavours of the ingredients.
Cube the Potatoes in Parmentier style
To cube the potatoes for Parmentier-style potatoes, start by peeling the potatoes.Slice the potatoes lengthways into approximately 2 cm thick slices. Then, take each slice and cut them lengthways and widthways again to create evenly-sized cubes. The uniform cubes will help the potatoes cook evenly and create a consistent texture in the final dish.
How to make Parmentier potatoes in Air fryer step by step?
To make Parmentier potatoes in the air fryer:
Soak: Place the soaked potatoes in bowl of cold water as you cube them. (This is an optional step but helps to remove any extra starch)
Season the potatoes: Toss the cubed potatoes with oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
Air fry: Transfer the seasoned potatoes to the air fryer basket. Air fry at 392 F / 200°C for 12 minutes, flipping them once halfway through the cooking time.
Add herbs and garlic: Add diced garlic, thyme, and rosemary to the potatoes and toss in the air fryer.
Air fry again: Air fry for an additional 6-9 minutes until the potatoes turn crispy again. Remove from the air fryer and serve the deliciously crispy Parmentier potatoes.
Tips to make the best Parmentier Potatoes in air fryer
- Consistent Cubes: Ensure that you cube the potatoes into even sizes. This will help them cook evenly and result in uniformly crispy potatoes.
- Choose the Right Potatoes: Opt for good floury all-rounder potatoes that are suitable for both roast potatoes and air fryer chips. This will ensure a fluffy interior and crispy exterior in your Parmentier potatoes.
- Timing for Garlic and Herbs: Add the minced garlic and herbs towards the end of the cooking process. This prevents them from burning and allows their flavours to infuse the potatoes without overpowering them.
- Single Layer: Arrange the potato cubes in a single layer in the air fryer basket, ensuring they do not overlap too much. This promotes even air circulation and helps achieve maximum crispiness. If needed, cook them in multiple batches rather than overcrowding the basket.
- Serve them with a variety of creamy dips such as sour cream and chives dip, vegan bang bang sauce, yogurt mint sauce, creamy coriander sauce, sriracha mayo or sweet chilli mayo.
- Pair the Parmentier potatoes with Air fryer vegetables, hearty vegetarian roast or stuffed bell peppers
- Use them as a tasty side to accompany your favourite Indian dishes such as Chickpea tikka masala, yellow spit peas dhal, black dal or cucumber lassi for a curry night.
- Incorporate into a buddha bowl for a light and vibrant vegetarian meal.
Make ahead Potato Parmentier
To make the make-ahead Potato Parmentier, start by air frying the potatoes for 12 minutes until they are partially cooked. Once done, allow them to cool and then store them in the refrigerator. This step can be done ahead of time to save you time on the day of serving.
When you are ready to serve, take the partially cooked potatoes out of the refrigerator and add diced garlic and herbs to them in the air fryer basket. Air fry for 8-10 minutes until they become crispy on the outside.
This make-ahead method is perfect for festive occasions like Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving, as well as for large gatherings when you have limited time available. It allows you to save time and have the potatoes ready to be crisped up before serving, making your meal preparation much easier and more efficient.
Storing leftover Parmentier Potatoes
In the fridge: Transfer the cooled Parmentier potatoes to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer before serving.
In the freezer: Cool the leftover Parmentier potatoes, transfer them to a freezer-safe container, and freeze for up to 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat until crispy for a quick and tasty meal.
- Thyme and Parsley:Change up the herbs and use a combination of thyme and parsley to infuse the potatoes with a fragrant and earthy flavor profile.
- Shallots and Garlic: Add diced shallots along with smashed fresh garlic to enhance the savoury depth and provide a subtle hint of sweetness to the Parmentier potatoes.
- Lemon and Dill:Give your Parmentier potatoes a refreshing citrusy flavor by incorporating the zing of lemon juice and the aromatic notes of dill, creating a vibrant and lively dish.
- Cajun / Taco seasoning: For a bold and fiery twist, coat the potatoes in Cajun seasoning or Taco seasoning, for a burst of spicy and robust flavours.
- Curry flavour: Add rich and aromatic curry flavours to your Parmentier potatoes with curry powder or a blend of spices like turmeric, cumin, coriander, and ginger. The aromatic flavours of curry will add warmth and depth to the dish.
Do I need to par boil the potatoes to make Air fryer Parmentier Potatoes?
Parboiling the potatoes is not necessary for making air fryer Parmentier potatoes. The air fryer itself cooks the potatoes faster than the oven, eliminating the need for parboiling. While parboiling can expedite the cooking process in many recipes, it is not required in this case for achieving crispy and delicious Parmentier style potatoes in the air fryer.
Can I make Parmentier potatoes in the oven?
Yes, Parmentier potatoes can be easily made in the oven. Begin by parboiling the potatoes for 5 minutes, then drain and let them rest for 5 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F) with a baking pan and oil inside. Toss the potatoes with salt and pepper, then place them in the preheated pan and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, add minced garlic and herbs to the potatoes, and toss to combine. Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes until the potatoes turn crispy
What air fryer do you use?
I can highly recommend Instant Pot Vortex 6 in 1 with 5.7l capacity and Instant Pot Vortex Versazone with 8.5l capacity. Both are reliable options to achieve crispy parmentier style potato cubes and other air-fried recipes with ease.
More easy Air fryer potato recipes
- Crispy potato slices
- Breakfast potatoes
- Smashed potatoes
- Hasselback potatoes
- Indian potatoes
- Aloo gobi – Indian potatoes and cauliflower
Homemade Parmentier Potatoes in air fryer recipe below
- 450 g potatoes peeled and cut into 2 cm cubes
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 sprigs rosemary chopped
- 2 springs thyme chopped
- In a bowl, toss the potato cubes with oil, salt, and pepper until evenly coated.450 g potatoes, 2 tbsp oil, ½ tsp black pepper, salt to taste
- Preheat the air fryer to 200°C (392°F) for 3 minutes.
- Arrange the seasoned potato cubes in the air fryer basket and cook for 14-15 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time.450 g potatoes
- Once the potatoes are slightly crispy, add the minced garlic and chopped herbs to the air fryer basket. Toss to coat the potatoes with the garlic and herbs.450 g potatoes, 3 cloves garlic, 2 sprigs rosemary, 2 springs thyme
- Air fry for an additional 8-10 minutes until the potatoes are nicely roasted.
- Remove from the air fryer, and serve the deliciously crispy Parmentier potatoes as a side dish or snack. Enjoy!